3/4" Impact Sockets - Recommendation Request

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bristol_Rob

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I'm in the market to buy some 3/4" impact sockets (with a bit of length, but no essential) and wondered if anyone had any sensible recommendations for a DIY'er
I don't want the cheapest and shards of socket in my face after using a dozen times so happy to pay for good quality at sensible value.

A bit subjective I know - but wondered what people are buying and having good success with.
I.E. not stripping, splitting, cracking or failing after short term use.

They will be going in a new Makita 40v impact wrench and used generally for bolts etc.

TIA (y)

I've got a mix of ones from Machine Mart and Halfords. Never had an issue with any of them. They're all black impact ones. I have occasionally used the silver regular ones - only when I didn't have the size required in the black impact ones, but for modest torques.

Both Machine Mart and Halfords are convenient for me - plus I have a trade card for Halfords which get's me reduced prices.

HIH

Interesting.

Is there a conventional wisdom that says - use a 1/2" impact wrench for sizes up to ??
&
a 3/4" Impact Wrench for Sizes over that above.

Just a thought as I haven't bought my Impact Wrench yet?

I have 2 sets of med priced Chinese affairs.....in the 30 years I have owned em never a brokenany thing from the set.....
often with a 2-3m scaffold pole driving them....
I did work on a lot of big tractors......there were no batt 3/4 nut drivers then and the air powered ones from Cosolidated were just crazy prices.....
so I cracked of the big nut over 1,1/4" with the big swivel bar and scoffold pole then used a 1/2 air gun to run em off......
still have all the air powered tools but switching to Millwaukee battery powered tools now....

3/4 is a bit in the middle, we used to use 1/2 upto 22 / 24mm on a chicago pneumatic air wrench but for the larger heavy stuff it was inch drive. As to brands , Gedore, Bedford, Facom or Stahlwille. I suppose a 3/4 is easier to use and may have it's uses on light commercial or crankshaft front pulley nuts but you find modern assemblies using lighter fixings.

3/4 is a bit in the middle, we used to use 1/2 upto 22 / 24mm on a chicago pneumatic air wrench but for the larger heavy stuff it was inch drive. As to brands , Gedore, Bedford, Facom or Stahlwille. I suppose a 3/4 is easier to use and may have it's uses on light commercial or crankshaft front pulley nuts but you find modern assemblies using lighter fixings.
I agree.
On reflection using my 1/4" impact driver isn't man enough for large lag bolts.

I'm thinking that the 3/4" will never snap, fail or struggle.
Plus I can use an adaptor to step down for smaller sizes. But have the strength of the 3/4" shaft for the larger, rare times I'd need it 🤔

Depending on what you plan to do with your impact gun.

I would consider 3/4" an overkill size for most applications, a good 1/2" gun will break loose car wheel nuts, drive heavy lag bolts, do up quite heavy bolts (up to M24), etc... If you're putting up steel structures or working on lorries all day I can see the benefits of a 3/4" gun, but they are a fair bit more expensive than a 1/2" gun as well as the sockets costing more and being much heavier and more ungainly than a 1/2" gun, you might struggle to fit it in areas that you'll fit a 1/2" gun.

You'll do well to snap a 1/2" impact gun anvil, I've never seen it happen.

Depending on what you plan to do with your impact gun.

I would consider 3/4" an overkill size for most applications, a good 1/2" gun will break loose car wheel nuts, drive heavy lag bolts, do up quite heavy bolts (up to M24), etc... If you're putting up steel structures or working on lorries all day I can see the benefits of a 3/4" gun, but they are a fair bit more expensive than a 1/2" gun as well as the sockets costing more and being much heavier and more ungainly than a 1/2" gun, you might struggle to fit it in areas that you'll fit a 1/2" gun.

You'll do well to snap a 1/2" impact gun anvil, I've never seen it happen.
Sounds like good advice 🫡

I really highly reccomend the halfords advanced stuff, they have a lifetime warranty and always come in nice cases etc. I can usually get a 7% off discount code for halfords stuff as well if you need one. (although the trade card discount is better, I just can't share it as it is attached to the account - unless you wanted me to order them to you!)

They do:

- 3/8 deep set
- 3/8 shallow set
- 1/2 deep set
- 1/2 shallow set

As an example, the 1/2" shallow set comes down from 20 to 16 with the trade discount.

Having said all of this, I don't believe that they do any 3/4 sockets. Like others have said above, I've snapped a 1/4" socket but never seen a 1/2" snap - they can put some serious torque down - I am always amazed at the torque being applied through 1/2" breaker bars. You must be working on some seriously industrial stuff to be using more than 1/2".

Last edited:
I really highly reccomend the halfords advanced stuff, they have a lifetime warranty and always come in nice cases etc. I can usually get a 7% off discount code for halfords stuff as well if you need one. (although the trade card discount is better, I just can't share it as it is attached to the account - unless you wanted me to order them to you!)

They do:

- 3/8 deep set
- 3/8 shallow set
- 1/2 deep set
- 1/2 shallow set

As an example, the 1/2" shallow set comes down from 20 to 16 with the trade discount.

Having said all of this, I don't believe that they do any 3/4 sockets. Like others have said above, I've snapped a 1/4" socket but never seen a 1/2" snap - they can put some serious torque down - I am always amazed at the torque being applied through 1/2" breaker bars. You must be working on some seriously industrial stuff to be using more than 1/2".
Thanks to you guys, I'm listening and am now looking at the Makita 40v 1/2" which appears correct for my needs.

Upcoming project will have me fitting a lot of M12 bolts so a deep 19mm impact socket is perfect.

The 1/2" Deep set at £29.99 is exactly what I need 👍

I'm going to get the impact driver with the hole rather than the ball in the end.
Not sure if the driver comes with the rubber ring & pin to avoid the socket constantly falling off 😄

Thanks to you guys, I'm listening and am now looking at the Makita 40v 1/2" which appears correct for my needs.

Upcoming project will have me fitting a lot of M12 bolts so a deep 19mm impact socket is perfect.

The 1/2" Deep set at £29.99 is exactly what I need 👍

I'm going to get the impact driver with the hole rather than the ball in the end.
Not sure if the driver comes with the rubber ring & pin to avoid socket constantly falling off 😄

@Bristol_Rob:

Don't know if it's appropriate or not, but back in the dim & distant past I was the "proud" (???) owner of a VW Type 2 van/bus. A three quarter square drive socket set was a definite plus (I bought a Geodore set and never had any problems). Like someone else says, there were no battery impact drivers back then and the air guns were well out of my DIY-er price range. So a hand-held hammer-hit type impact driver, plus a gurt long bar (made of Tungum actually, but that's another story!) always got me out of trouble.

But as a general rule, unless you're into DIY-ing on, say motor caravans, or other van type ("light commercials") I'd suggest that a half inch socket set of decent quality will do you. I bought a Halfords set in UK back in the 1970s and it's still in pristine condition after a LOT of use. I can't remeber what it cost but it certainly doesn't owe me anything.

HTH

For the last 20 + years, I have been involved with old tractors, I have used 3/4" with a scaffold extension, when required, in particular with anything over 1 1/4". If a nut is stubborn, heat can be as useful as an impact wrench.

AES, made of Tungum actually, go on tell us the story pls.....what ever it is.....

I find the 1/2 guns either battery or air powerd heavy enough.....
I really bought my 1/2 batt jobby just to work up a ladder /scofolding just to put the new shed together.....m20 bolts top n bottom of stantions......and not drag airlines around.......

I know everyone slags of the Chinese but without them most DIYer's wouldn't have air guns at all....let alone batt ones.....
have a good weekend.....

I have the Ryobi One+ 1/4" & 1/2" impact drivers and the 1/2" packs serious torque but eats batteries so a 5Amp plus is needed.
If you need more torque I agree with the "handraulic" scaffold pole approach. Oversizing means more bulk and more weight.
As I also have air wrenches, my sockets were bought with them, including a Metabo set. The only item that has ever broken was a torque screw driver bit (Not Metabo). The 1/2" driver has been brilliant with self-drilling Tek screws in metal, where I find you need the "spin speed" and torque to drive them.

Back