4 1/2 stanley plane help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halken

Established Member
Reaction score
i have been giving an old 4 1/2 a bit of a refurb and i need to source the small screw which goes in the front of the handle the screw from my no 6 fits and i know its not metric but can anyone help with the thread type and size. i have also sanded the handles ( i think they are beech ) and i would like to stain them to look like the rosewood handles on my no6 any suggestions for the stain would be welcome also could i coat them with clear laquer from a car shop or is it a different type of laquer

The thread size is awkward and isn't standard...I know from experience. I think BugBear might be able to furnish an answer - Rob

HI, Just measured mine.
5.5mm diameter, likely to be 7/32".
Pitch 20 tpi.

7/32" BSW is 24 tpi so as Rob says "The thread size is awkward and isn't standard".

Of course an enerprising chap with the right lathe might take on a challenge and make one for you.

xy

Hi,

It's English Plane thread ot 12-20 to the Americans The closest thing I have is a cheese head frog screw that are the same size, I can send you one if you PM me your address.

Pete

I believe that although they are not 'standard' as in 'widely used in engineering' they are the same for the various makes of plane. If so, I've probably got one or two in my Clifton spares collection. Drop me a PM and I'll pop one in the post to you tomorrow.

If I'm wrong and there is a difference then Pete's will probably fit, so either way you will have a solution.

Latest posts

Back