37 MPG SOUNDS RIGHT TO YOU? OR I'M PARANOID?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got an 1100 Fiesta (stop laughing..) and average 41mpg,doing the 12 miles each way to work (mainly dual carriageway),and round town on a weekend.Can get about 46mpg out of it on a 70mph motorway run.

It's not exciting,though :(

Andrew

When we bought our last car we went for a test run in a focus,
at the the garage the wife liked the look of a certain peugeot 307 1.6 HDI.
So we had a test run in it and i could not stop grinning to myself,
it reminded me of the RD350lc two stoke bike i used to have ,(well not quite)
its a flyer(120mph err so i've been told :roll: ) and now 1 year later i'm still grinning high 50s mpg. :D

SWMBO's Nissan Navara is showing 36.5 MPG on the computer :shock: (average over the 10k miles we've owned it)

Complete overkill for the school run, but it's very handy.

Only downside is the size of the tank, £80 last time I filled it. (Funny it always seems she times so when I need it the lights on)

My car is probably only getting high 20s at a guess, but then I don't keep records, just fill it up when the light goes on :D My car is much more fun though :wink:

Si

Been thinking about the earlier statement about it being cheaper to open a window than to run the air con. Read through posts since then, might have missed it but seen no comment to contradict it, so here's mine:
Now bearing in mind that it is just not on to mention going over the speed limit, I will restrict my example to one that safely stays within the motorway speed limit.
Example is:

Fully loaded van say a Merc sprinter, tranny Vivaro, that sort of size, with full payload, in very light traffic ( say 3:30AM ) and an uphill gradient.
You are slowly gaining on a much larger vehicle, you are going say 5 to 10 MPH faster than the vehicle in front but no way are you going to overtake like a 20 yr old Saab Ferrari eater.........you get as close as sensible and safe then indicate and pull out. yes there is a drag effect from the aerodynamics, but you are coming alongside and proceeding to get past..
Now open a window, any window but lets say in this instance the driver side window so as not to compromise the airflows more than necessary.....and watch the vehicle on the left either lock speed with you or draw ahead again.....
I doubt that turning on the aircon instead of opening the window would have such a drastic drag effect....Therefore the engine efficiency and fuel consumption would seem to be more adversely effected by opening the window than by operating the air conditioning....

Just in case anyone is thinking that there are a lot more metres cubed in a large van as opposed to a car, and acting as a parachute, this example is based on a full bulkhead type,closed of from the rear of the front seats so probably less overall cubic space than all but the smallest car

Plus it blows the froth off your pint all over the Times crossword....

If you watch your rev counter when you turn the air conditioning on and off, it will give you a good indication of how much power it is taking from the engine. Quite a lot in my experience.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Fortunately the a/c doesn't work in my car - there's a slow leak and it's not worth having it fixed for the 2 or 3 days I might need it each year, and then I'll ride my bike anyway! However, my Bentley used a LOT of extra fuel to power the a/c and took the round-town average down by about 20%. Never tried it on a run so couldn't comment, but the compressor for that car was MASSIVE so I'm not surprised it took a fair bit of power to run it. The air temp coming out of the vents was below freezing on max power!

Incidentally - I used to get 20 mpg on a run, 15-16 around town, and was lucky to get 12 around town with the a/c going. Actually not bad for a car with a 7 litre 400 bhp engine and weighing in at almost 3 tons! Wish I still had it sometimes as it was so comfortable and so much fun to drive.

Streepips":28hvgn8r said:
Been thinking about the earlier statement about it being cheaper to open a window than to run the air con. Read through posts since then, might have missed it but seen no comment to contradict it, so here's mine:
Now bearing in mind that it is just not on to mention going over the speed limit, I will restrict my example to one that safely stays within the motorway speed limit.
Example is:

Fully loaded van say a Merc sprinter, tranny Vivaro, that sort of size, with full payload, in very light traffic ( say 3:30AM ) and an uphill gradient.
You are slowly gaining on a much larger vehicle, you are going say 5 to 10 MPH faster than the vehicle in front but no way are you going to overtake like a 20 yr old Saab Ferrari eater.........you get as close as sensible and safe then indicate and pull out. yes there is a drag effect from the aerodynamics, but you are coming alongside and proceeding to get past..
Now open a window, any window but lets say in this instance the driver side window so as not to compromise the airflows more than necessary.....and watch the vehicle on the left either lock speed with you or draw ahead again.....
I doubt that turning on the aircon instead of opening the window would have such a drastic drag effect....Therefore the engine efficiency and fuel consumption would seem to be more adversely effected by opening the window than by operating the air conditioning....

Just in case anyone is thinking that there are a lot more metres cubed in a large van as opposed to a car, and acting as a parachute, this example is based on a full bulkhead type,closed of from the rear of the front seats so probably less overall cubic space than all but the smallest car

Plus it blows the froth off your pint all over the Times crossword....

I'd agree with this - and so does "Honest John" in the Saturday Telegraph - a/c is more economical than an open window at speed. I have a 2.0 VW Golf TDi (the 140 bhp) and over the last 4000 miles it's returned an average of 52.3 mpg, and if I'm really careful can get close to 60 mpg on a run. Cruising at 75mph on the M way returns 54 mpg. Much of the time I have the climate control on, and I do not notice any difference between when it is on or off. Maybe A/C is getting more efficient?

After a quick scan of the topic, I didn't see anyone mention the impact that weather will have on mpg. ie: the auto engine runs better in cool rainy weather than it does during hot dry days & of course MPG is affected accordingly. Severe cold also has a negative impact on MPG. ie:
when I lived 8 miles from work in heavy traffic my 1975 Mercury Cougar with 350 cu" V-8 delivered a whopping 8 MPG during Winter. On the highway in the summer running an average 65 MPH it would barely deliver 20 MPG.
Today I drive a 2000 Nissan Maxima with a 235 hp V-6 & in normal city stop - go traffic average 20 to 21 MPG & on the highway in the summer or early fall & running at 70 mph on cruise control get 31 to 33 MPG.
I don't think I could afford to drive the Cougar at today's gas prices which is running $ 4.89 / gal. premium grade thanks to today's value of the Canadian dollar vs the U.S. buck.

Lee

I didn't see anyone mention the impact that weather will have on mpg.
What I can see from my table is that winter has a much more pronounced effect 2-4 mpg less in winter with aircon off,

Confirms my suspicions that I am indeed posting into a blackhole

Alan

Lee Brubaker":3pj947r3 said:
I don't think I could afford to drive the Cougar at today's gas prices which is running $ 4.89 / gal. premium grade thanks to today's value of the Canadian dollar vs the U.S. buck.

Lee

Don't suggest you bring it to the Uk then where petrol is closer to 9 $Canadian a gallon (US)

My Audi TT returns 30 mpg, and when driven like a Vicar nearly 40. A.C. seems to make very little difference.

Lee Brubaker":34mxyt68 said:
After a quick scan of the topic, I didn't see anyone mention the impact that weather will have on mpg.

My car has semi-slick tyres, so during snowy weather I'll have to take my mountain bike, so MPG is much better :lol: :lol:

The irony of mother nature. When it is cold the air is dense, I get more BHP, but the roads are icy and I can't use them :evil:

Si

Lee Brubaker":ljlyb96t said:
1975 Mercury Cougar .
2000 Nissan Maxima
Hardly a valid comparison! Really old technology versus new. The 1975 Cougar is just a big muscle car whereas the 2000 Maxima is optimised as a sporty family saloon. If you want to compare, I had a 1960's Lotus Cortina that had been 'breathed on' - easily beats the Maxima on fuel consumption (40 mpg on a run and in those days legally driving at 90-100 mph, 32 around town) and close on performance (0-60 in well under 10 seconds), but then it's nowhere near as heavy and isn't fitted with all the latest safety gizmos. Probably doesn't have such thick heavy and comfortable seats, either.

I do agree that cold weather affects automatics, though, as the temperature sensors take longer to kick in. My nice modern BMW won't go out of 3rd gear into 4th until I'm doing 45+ mph in cold weather and won't go into 5th until 70+. However, over 4 years of driving I averaged 29.7 mpg (according to the onboard computer) which for a fast and sporty 3 litre car is pretty good, imo.

I am by no means an expert on this, but it strikes me that if a car is being used around town, with a lot of idling, then using the aircon will significantly reduce the mpg, as the engine has to idle faster to power it (try switching the aircon on and off while waiting at the lights if you don't believe me).

Also, say the aircon requires 1 Kw to power it (I have no idea if this is correct, but use the numbers for an example), and at idle, the car engine puts out 3 kw, so the aircon is taking 25% of the total output.

However, at 70 mph, the engine is probably putting out say 80 Kw, so the aircon is only taking 1.25% of the engine's output.

So in summary, around town, or at low speed, it is cheaper to open a window. At motorway speeds, it is cheaper to run the aircon.

Tonight's homework project is to verify if my assumptions regarding power usage are reasonable.

Regards

Gary

I've just bought a 3.0 Legacy and driving mostly around town sensibly I seem to be getting about 15mpg (eep!).

I saw that Mythbusters episode about the window vs aircon test too and as someone who used to work in the autotmotive industry on such things as engine efficiency and airconditioning systems I nearly choked when they announced (with a straight face, you have to admire their acting ability) that you were better off with aircon than an open window. Mythbusters - proudly sponsored by American Petroleum Corp... :lol:

ok heres my 2p's worth,

i have 2 cars, the first an 9 year old Audi A6 2.5tdi and the second my good old S3 LWB landy with a 3.9 V8 fitted, 90% of the time we use the Audi, and its rare we use the landy for much, but i know when i do that i dont want to know the MPG, i think double figures would be nothing but a dream !! but then there is the noise of the V8, makes up for sooo much !! :D

the Audi how ever will do 40+ on a run and about 35 around the lanes and small towns here, now the aircon, the audi has a little trick up its sleave there, it you sit with the car running and the aircon on and blip the throttle you can hear relay click in the car, this is the car turing off the aircon pump while you accelerate and it will click back in when the motor is not under load. so when you out on the road the pump is out when the motor is needing power and in when there is power to spare. i have tried running with the air con on and off and it only makes 1 or 2 % difference to the mpg, add that to the smoothness of the v6 in the Audi and you can see why i still have it after 8 years !

Im sure that my audi is not the only car to do that and i wonder if thats why there is some people that see little difference in the mpg with the AC on or off ??

just a thought

Matt

1.Early aircon unit's = (proberbly) very inefficient. :(
2.modern aircon unit's = (proberbly) very efficient :D
3.Answer = **** (definitely) sticks :lol:

Latest posts

Back