3/8" bush for grinding wheel?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrian_D

Reaction score
I hope someone here can advise or point me in the right direction.
Recently I bought an old hand grinding wheel on E-bay - a Carborundum Niagara No. I.II; all's fine with it except that I want to get a new stone (the originals for this brand apparently contained traces of astestos). The problem is its small arbor - it is only 3/8". I can't find a stone to fit this size, neither can I find a pre-made reducing bush to use as an adaptor. I assume my only solution is to make one myself. Given that I don't want to make the cost of this purchase out of all porportion to its value, could someone either let me know if there are stones available to fit this size or a simple way for me to make the bush myself?
I've attached a few photos to show original stone (diameter - a worn 3.5", width 1").
Thanks

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 65
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 65
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 65
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 65
If you have a lathe its a 2 min job but presumably you havent or you wouldnt be asking
I'll do it you FOC just postage
but if you have a piece of white nylon or a old plastic chopping board drill a hole with a hole saw that will leave slighly too big to go into your new stone.
stack slices to make them the right thickness
then drill the centre to 3/8's
then mount this piece on your grinder and get someone else to turn the handle like mad and with a sharp chisel turn the outside to fit your stone
you dont have to worry too much on a hand cranked grinder about absolute concentricity

Ian

Many thanks AES and flh801978 for each of your replies.
As I don't mind a challenge, and as chance would have it, I do have an old plastic chopping board, I'll attempt your idea flh801978 and make the bush myself. I think the only thing extra I'll need is a second hand 3/8" auger drill bit.
If I fail, I'll take up your kind offer but hopefully it won't come to that.
Thanks again!
Adrian

Thanks; I didn't think they were available (in imperial) on this side of the Atlantic. I'll look them up....

Thanks; I'll take a good look at this later as it will should come in handy once I'm operational!

Latest posts

Back