Quantcast

2nd hand Hammer Combi or New Robland ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

flanajb

Established Member
Reaction score
My garage does not lend itself to 3 different machines so I am thinking of getting a combi. I have a budget of 4-5k and can't decide whether to try and buy the 2nd hand Hammer one on ebay or to go for a new Robland. Having never seen either of them in the flesh I have no idea about build quality and am hoping someone here may have already looked into this.

Thanks

flanajb

Established Member
Reaction score
Modernist":3kbk10iv said:
Having owned both I would go for the Hammer
Is the build quality of the Hammer a much better machine ?

I have heard that Robland machines did used to be questionable, but are now better ?

Modernist

Established Member
Reaction score
I have had a Hammer C3-41 for 6 years and a Robland K260 for the 20 years before that so my info on the Robland is hardly current. I did however look a them when I bought the Hammer and decided in it's favour. I think the standard of engineering is higher, particularly in the rise and fall mechanisms and other bits under the surface. Don't be fooled into thinking a H is a low cost Felder, it's not, but it does benefit from some of the pedigree.

johnf

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Hammer C3-31 similar to the one on the bay I am very happy with it and think it's a great machine if you can get that one within your budget I am sure you will be well satisfied
Keep us posted

flanajb

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just located a new Robland NX310 Pro for £4800 inc VAT. That is 20% discount off new. I do like the look of the Hammer and it is a compact machine, where as the NX310 Pro has a quite large footprint.

beech1948

Established Member
Reaction score
As you make your choice ( My preference would be Hammer) be aware that a combi takes up a lot of space. People make the mistake of thinking that they can get a quart in a pint pot but the truth is to look at the manufacturers suggestions for working space around the machine. I have a Felder 12" combi with a 2.7m wide sliding table. It needs around 5x4m minimum to work around it with any size timber.

You may get a different figure depending on your working style but please consider prior to purchase.

Al

flanajb

Established Member
Reaction score
beech1948":3lp6t1rs said:
As you make your choice ( My preference would be Hammer) be aware that a combi takes up a lot of space. People make the mistake of thinking that they can get a quart in a pint pot but the truth is to look at the manufacturers suggestions for working space around the machine. I have a Felder 12" combi with a 2.7m wide sliding table. It needs around 5x4m minimum to work around it with any size timber.

You may get a different figure depending on your working style but please consider prior to purchase.

Al
My garage is only 3.6m * 6m and I have lots of other stuff in there. The Hammer has a wheel set so was hoping that I can move it around as and when I need to use it so that it does not take up lots of room.

johnf

Established Member
Reaction score
Whatever you buy make sure the planer tables lift inwards as the ones that lift out are a pain to work round
If you got all that hammer kit for around 5k you would be doing well