24 hours in A&E on now

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all

So here is a question, do you think we really do get wiser as we age and become safer or take the view that if you do loose a finger then you have less years without it than if you did it when young? The other line of thought is that the older members round here grew up in a world that did not try and wrap everything in cotton wool and it was accepted that there was danger around us, we certainly did not need to be told not to eat the washing powder which appears on so many adverts now.

Back when I was a student nurse I was doing my stint in A&E, on the Monday we had a chap in who had taken the tip of his little finger off. On the Wednesday someone had cut of most of his index and part of the middle. Thursday it was three and half fingers off and Friday we had the lad who slipped down a bank wearing plimsolls who pulled the big industrial hover mower over both feet. The duty doc said it was unusual for just one week.

You didn't really have the one-upmanship of trying to out-weird other people on the internet back in your day though.
Who hasn't ever uttered those immortal words: "Hold my pint, and watch this!"?

I am much more careful these days, not because of risk of injury per se, but because I can't give up 6 weeks for healing purposes - I just don't have the time.

Growing up in a farming community, counting to ten often involved more than one person (insert joke here). Losing an entire limb was a talking point, but fingers didn't raise much comment. A neighbour's daughter asked her dad "What's that?" at the age of six, whilst pointing at something inside the bailer. Only lost half a finger...

No doubt the digitally challenged farmers would do the same party trick as my dad: stick the stump of the amputated finger into a nostril, making it look as though he was reaching inside his cranium.

I saw the result of someone who taped the switch on his chainsaw so he could use it one-handed up a ladder on top of a shed roof, there was a torso, there were feet, in between was what I’ve always described as “a dropped lasagne”

Aidan

This is hard to read through.. I've been deciding between getting upgrading my table-saw for a safer model or getting a planer/thicknesser; i think i just made my decision!
Sure i'm not the only one here who's over-cautious of long hair near the tools tooo_O

According to the write up for next Wednesdays episode there's a carpenter on who has partially amputated his thumb!

It is so odd how blasé people get. For example I use my chop saw frequently. Every single time I make a cut I go through the same mantra: "are my hands clear (yes), am I behind the blade (no), is the work secure and safe.

My other major lifelong hobby is playing classical piano. I actually need all of my fingers for that, so I am quite happy to be a bit slow and careful around machinery.

Mind you I did break my arm operating an excavator a couple of years ago. It was hired but I am not a novice digger driver. Tipped the thing forward digging out a very difficult tree stump and went through the front screen (which was open). :oops: :rolleyes: Very annoyingly my son dug it it out next day in very relaxed fashion in about 20 mins.

This is hard to read through.. I've been deciding between getting upgrading my table-saw for a safer model or getting a planer/thicknesser; i think i just made my decision!
Sure i'm not the only one here who's over-cautious of long hair near the tools tooo_O
Get a 💇‍♂️ ya hippie like mine 👩‍🦲

Guess who has a plaster on the back of his hand? Yep me I was splitting a 8 inch long piece of plum branch and missed the top and just caught my hand that was holding the bottom of the branch, it’s not deep but it bled a lot. The axe is a small single bevel one I use for carving that’s razor sharp, it leaves a nice clean cut!

Pete

Just watched last weeks episode of Ambulance Code Red where a man had reportedly cut open his stomach with a chain saw. As they were packing his intestines back inside the report changed to a circular saw. The man had apparently being trying to mend his gutter . . . . . . with a circular saw blade attached to an angle grinder. As it was completely unguarded he was probably lucky that he didn't cut his arm off first.

Back