125mm Swept Tee Piece

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smartecosse

Established Member
Reaction score
In the effort to combat pretty much everything being covered in dust I've upgraded the dust collector that I had to a 2hp one that also has a fine filter cartridge on it to be used mainly for the table saw.

Its got a removable flange that gives a single 125mm outlet rather than twin 100's when removed and I am currently running 125 flexi hose over to the saw.

However, doing it this was means its sitting only a few meters away, its noisy and not in the best spot. I want to site it in the corner out the way and this would mean either a 5 meter run or 11 meter in the preferred spot.

I've managed to find several suppliers of either 5" galvanised spiral pipe or 5" rigid plastic ducting but I can't seem to find anyone that supplies 5" swept tee pieces and I'd read that a standard T piece wasn't ideal.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

125mm drainage piece will do, generally sold by the likes of Travis Perkins or equivalent builders merchants.

Mike

Try the Pluming Centre a 120mm female will fit the 125mm outlet and the male end will take the flexible.

Mike

125mm is available in Drain pipe, but its not as common as 110mm or 160mm.
Rather than a swept tee, in larger diameters you are more likely to find 45 degree tees/branches. Mostly i think because at these diameters a true swept tee gets very large. All you are trying to do is increase the radius of the bend in the pipe so that it doesn't restrict airflow too much...

I'd couple this..
https://www.plasticpipeshop.co.uk/Spigot-x-Socket-45-Deg-Drainage-Tee_c_2705.html

... with this ...
https://www.plasticpipeshop.co.uk/Spigot-x-Socket-45-Deg-Drainage-Bend_c_2678.html

Bear in mind for many of these sizes the term XXXmm diameter can refer to Inside Diameter, Ouside Diameter, or some other nominal dimension. And often components from differing manufacturers are not compatible. This is less of an issue in 110mm domestic use... btu becomes more of a problem above this size.

Be careful... a lot of plastic pipe sold as "Duct Work" is thin walled and suitable for extracting humidity form bathrooms and the like. It isn't strong enough for woodworking extraction ducts. It can be damaged by chips flowing in the duct and more likely the vacuum caused by a blocked pipe, but with the motor still running can be enough to crush and split the duct.

You would be better advised to use the proper metal ducting and fittings that are made for the job. Everything will fit together easily and each machine can have a blast gate to keep up extraction performance. Plastic drainage may look a little cheaper but you need to cobble fittings together and the finished item has zero fire resistance and a habit of generating static.

Thanks for all the suggstions.........

I've decided to go with metal rather than plastic as the duct will be on the floor under the workbench and if and when something is dropped on it better to have a dent than a break.

I've been looking online at ducting and it seems I can run a 150 mm line from the extractor for 6 meters with a swept tee part way along and a reducer at the far end.

The swept tee would reduce from the 150 to 125, then immediately have a blast gate then a very short piece of flexible hose connecting it to the table saw.

On the main 150 line just after the swept tee piece I'd have anther blast gate to isolate the rest of the line when the table saw is in use and at the end of the line I'd have a reducer taking it from the 150 down to 100mm as most of the other tools are that or smaller.

Blast gates

http://www.ductstore.co.uk/acatalog/Bla ... html#aBG80

Reducer

http://www.ductstore.co.uk/acatalog/150 ... Seals.html

T piece

http://www.ductstore.co.uk/acatalog/150 ... Seals.html

Spiral tube

http://www.ductstore.co.uk/acatalog/Spi ... ngths.html

All of that comes to £112 plus delivery which seems pretty reasonable to me, apart from the costs of the blast gates which make up almost half the total! I could more than halve the cost of the blast gates by getting the plastic ones that Rutland etc sell but I would assume that the cast aluminium ones would last longer and work better....

If I had them main duct at 125mm I'd save a tenner but from what I have read 150mm (6") would seem to be the ideal size, is that right?

Adding a 90 degree bend and another 6 meters of ducting (another £52) would allow me to site the extractor further away from where I work to reduce the noise level but then its going to double the length of the run of ducting so maybe I should spend the money on some bluetooth ear defenders instead.

Any suggestions appreciated before I order it all.

Thanks

My system has a 150mm range pipe with 100mm down pipes and blast gates. The machines are connected with the minimum length of 100mm flexy.
The best tip I have is to ensure that down pipes enter the side of the range pipe to prevent chippings falling down pipes from machines which are currently isolated.
If you stick with the low level pipes this will be of no use to you!
Mike
Forgot to mention - the best place for the extractor is in a separate room or partitioned off area if you can but this means allowing air to enter the workshop and exit the extractor room. Colder in the winter!
Mike.

Mike Jordan":242qrrps said:
My system has a 150mm range pipe with 100mm down pipes and blast gates. The machines are connected with the minimum length of 100mm flexy.

Both the table saw and the planer will take a 125mm flex over the outlet so I thought I might as well stick with the larger diameter pipe as far as possible.

The best tip I have is to ensure that down pipes enter the side of the range pipe to prevent chippings falling down pipes from machines which are currently isolated.
If you stick with the low level pipes this will be of no use to you!
Mike.

Unfortunately the floor is pretty much the only option for the pipework.

Forgot to mention - the best place for the extractor is in a separate room or partitioned off area if you can but this means allowing air to enter the workshop and exit the extractor room. Colder in the winter!
Mike.

Its in a barn which isn't heated and as I'm in Scotland a heavy jacket and hat is needed, and thats just in summer :)

Don't really have an option to partition it off either hence wanting to move it further away.

Thanks for all the input.

125mm ducting is perfectly fine for a 2hp extractor, it's only when you go to 3hp or more that you need to go to 150+. That said, if you can afford 150mm sized ducting & accessories, it won't hurt to go that size

MattRoberts":250fr8fe said:
125mm ducting is perfectly fine for a 2hp extractor, it's only when you go to 3hp or more that you need to go to 150+. That said, if you can afford 150mm sized ducting & accessories, it won't hurt to go that size

its less than £10 more to go up to the 150mm from the 125mm.

Back