10.8v or 12v drill drivers......any recommendations?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the previous version of the current bosch 10.8. I really like it, although have nothing to compare it to. Seems to do a good job though and I would buy another bosch one if it broke.

I have the current Bosch 10.8v, its really good. I paid £99 for it on offer. Makita, dewalt, milwauke etc all do similar ones. I reckon they will all be pretty much as good as each other, so just look for the best deal.

I have a Bosch 10.8V drill-driver and an impact driver - both fit in this little carry bag with the charger and 2 batteries plus loads of drills, drill bits etc. It has been outstanding and the batteries also fit the little Bosch multi tool and the sabre saw. I have been delighted with them they are my go to drills for screws etc
Regards
Mark

I won't bore you with my raving about the Makita. I love it but it's dearer than the Bosch or DeWalt.

Another brand to consider is Worx. Their 12v Li-Ion drill/driver is bloody good for the money. You can normally find them on offer for around £75. The Professional one (green & black) has a 1hr charger but the domestic one (orange & black) has a 3hr charger.

MMUK":x3s4wmx8 said:
I won't bore you with my raving about the Makita. I love it but it's dearer than the Bosch or DeWalt.

Another brand to consider is Worx. Their 12v Li-Ion drill/driver is bloody good for the money. You can normally find them on offer for around £75. The Professional one (green & black) has a 1hr charger but the domestic one (orange & black) has a 3hr charger.

Good shout. I have seen these Worx things but I know nothing of them as a brand or where they stand in the quality scale.

For the money they're damned good. I have the "domestic" version. Bought it at B&Q about 3 years ago on offer. £40 with two batteries. Only issue I've had was the charger lead snapping (it's only bell wire). I've actually now replaced the plug transformer with a higher output current power supply, charge time is now down to about 45 minutes.

MMUK":1828ylel said:
For the money they're damned good. I have the "domestic" version. Bought it at B&Q about 3 years ago on offer. £40 with two batteries. Only issue I've had was the charger lead snapping (it's only bell wire). I've actually now replaced the plug transformer with a higher output current power supply, charge time is now down to about 45 minutes.

My mate Phil has a green Worx one and it seems very good for the money, he's never had a problem with it. Very Solid, Quick-stop chuck, I think it even has a couple of bubbles to help get it level.

Hi,

I have the Bosch set, drill, impact, angle driver and saw, and there great little tools that are more than powerful enough for consistent screwing up to 50mm screws. They do larger but the batteries run out very quickly,

I have however just bought the 2 festool drills c12 and t12+3 (came up cheap on eBay) and they are superb! Especially the c12. The batteries also last for a very long time, especially if you get the 3ah ones, and the offline driver and angle drivers have come in handy already! There good because you gettehe full control oft eh drill through the attachment as opposed t the Bosch angle driver being a self contained unit, the start stop isn't as refined and are limited to hex bits., little things like the drills are very stable standing on there own, and the magnetic front to holes screws just make it a pleasure to use.

I would advise buying the c12 with the angle driver and offline driver as a set with 2.6 or 3.0ah batteries. It's the perfect setup.

Personally for a 10.8v I would recommend the festool cxs, they aren't mega money but will hold up great against even some 18v models out there currently, especially the cheapo brands, charges in 20mins, light, powerful and obviously the centrotec system works great. I have used the bosch gsr10.8v too, and would recommend for those not using the drill on a professional daily level, it's a little heavy for a machine of that size and doesn't have all the features the festool machine has but is worth the 100 odd pounds.

Alex

I have the dewalt 10.8 impact and driver package .... I was using the makita for a while and the plus side of the dewalt is... they stand up because of the flat battery, they have bigger battery 1.5 compared to 1.3 which makes a big difference and batteries seem to be a bit cheaper... around £35 in screwfix or as low as £25 online.

I used the makita driving in tex screws into pre drilled metal (Couple hundred a day) and would usually need to swap the battery twice on average.

The dewalt I was putting 70mm deck screws into predrilled wet timber (pre drilled for the first 10mm with counter sink) went through a whole box of 200 screws on the same charge that it came from the factory with... which also included a small bit of playing when I got it at first also. I was personally really surprised by this and always swore off of dewalt after my 18v hammer action's batteries went and new ones were £90ish a pop but this little beast is more than perfect for most carpentry and joinery tasks on and off site (anything I need more oomph, I get out a corded drill)

I have the Bosch system - drill/driver, impact driver and multi-tool.

I thought it was great... until I tried a friend's Makita :-(

It's worth saying it's the third generation of Bosch cordless tools I've bought. Each has had more play in the chuck than the one before, and the present one is rather sloppy - too much so for any precise drilling. I'm going to re-battery my original green Bosch, as it's the most well behaved of the lot (20 years old now!).

Most of the 10.8V ones now use the same battery system, with different plastic shells stuck onto the battery pack so they aren't interchangeable between brands. At least, Bosch, Makita and Milwaukee are like that, anyway. I suspect they all come from the same factory in China, BUT it's quite possible that the better brands demand tighter tolerances for the cells inside. The better the cells are matched, the longer the battery's lifespan.

Obviously, you can't tell from the outside, but I'd guess the cheaper ones use cells that failed QC for the bigger brands but are still functional. I have an 18V right-angled drill that's like that - the battery pack failed because the cells are cheap. It's another re-celling job.

If you can afford a Makita you won't be disappointed.

E.

Back