1/8th" bandsaw blade question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ateallthepies

Established Member
Reaction score
Strange question I know but does anyone know how small in diameter a 1/8th" bandsaw blade can be coiled?

I am after making a small bushcraft saw to replace one of those wire saws found in those survival kits/tins.

The wire saws are OK for their small size but break quite quickly if they over heat which when cutting wood they do.

thanks,

Steve

I wouldn't like to guess, but I very much doubt it will coil up anywhere near as tightly as a proper wire saw. I have had a Adventurer Spiral Wire Military Saw for years and it is still going strong (after quite a lot of heavy use). I can't for the life of me remember where I got it though...

A quick google search shows plenty of US websites selling them, but I am sure I got mine from a UK site.

A band saw blade would kink and break very quickly. It is designed to be under tensoin all the time cutting and if you tried to pull it through wood by hand you would certainly put all sorts of pressure on it that it just wasn't designed for. Plus, it will only cut in one direction..

I think another problem would be it would not curve in the direction you need - i.e. in the plane of the teeth, it will try to twist and bend on its side so would be frustrating to use.

HTH
S

Ta for the replies.

I was thinking a bow-saw arrangement could be fashioned when out in the wilds. The blade would then be under sufficient tension to work.

To be useful the diameter of the coiled blade would need to be 50mm or less and this is where the problem would probably be.

Will have to go to Axminster and see what the have and do some testing.

Steve.

Latest posts

Back