1/4 inch routers on market.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lons":wbuxwwmt said:
I have a Makita RTO700CX2 kit which is used regularly because it's so light.
I second that, although I have the Makita RTO700CX4 kit - so have the plunge router and two other bases. I use the plunge router base much more than the other two bases. I want more flexibility than just a trim router base.

The Makita is really good especially the low weight, the supplied accessories, "longish" power lead and the separate on/off and speed control and the soft start which all make it easy to operate easily/effectively.

However, two things can be easily overlooked: most 1/4" routers do not plunge as far as 1/2" routers can so may not be suitable for every router table. The number of router bits available for a 1/2" router vastly outweighs a 1/4" and usually a 1/2" router has a 1/4" collet as well.

Low weight is something to consider because more power/options available with a 1/2" etc. also comes with extra weight. So if buying again it would still be a 1/4" one like the Makita.

I did think I could overcome the short plunge of the Makita with an extension. Purchased from Amazon it looked really sturdy. This was a big mistake because using it without a router bit, it immediately turned to a right angle and being off centre the whole tool became difficult to control - gave me quite a fright. Perhaps there are extensions that work that can be recommended e.g. not a "cheapie" made in China. I might try a router table with a thin table insert as an alternative. Suggestions?

That was a typo on my part Simon, mine is labelled on the systainer case as an RTO700CX5j. I don't know what the differences are. It has all the bits I think plunge and angled bases etc.,tbh I thought I bought it as a CX4.
Like you I use the plunge base most of the time, not sure I'd put it in a table though.

Perhaps someone know how to extend a 1/4” router so it can be used safely with a table? Perhaps a 1/2” router is that “accessory” - I might have to ask Santa for one?

For everything else the 1/4” Makita seems “the business” and more than sufficient (for my needs). So Santa can think of something else...

FWIW I’m using the Makita with Trend router bits from a 1/4” set with a couple of “extras” from Erbauer (Screwfix).

Latest posts

Back