01332 after market riving knife

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azk404

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

I have an iTech 01332 table saw and I'd like to change the riving knife to something that fits level with the blade as the stock one sticks up over it so I need to remove it when using a sled for example.

I've looks online but unsure of what to get so if anyone has a recommendation that would be great.

Cheers
Az

I suppose I could cut this one down with a hack saw...

Does anyone know what brand this might be?

Screenshot 2023-04-08 at 10.46.32.png

Last edited:
The thickness of the riving knife plate is very important (wider than the saw blade plate, but thinner than the saw kerf); so either get some metal plate of the right thickness (and cut/file to size) or buy a spare knife for that machine and modify it. I wouldn't go using some random knife (assuming that's what you're indicating with your "what brand" post)?

As said buy a spare and cut it down.

Don't cut down the one you have as I presume you need one full length to mount the guard.

Hello

I have an iTech 01332 table saw and I'd like to change the riving knife to something that fits level with the blade as the stock one sticks up over it so I need to remove it when using a sled for example.

I've looks online but unsure of what to get so if anyone has a recommendation that would be great.

Cheers
Az
A riving knife is that height for a reason.
One incidental reason is to stop inexperienced users from cutting their fingers off using sleds.

I too am an advocate for not modifying safety features
Not modifying safety features seems like very good advice - but it's exactly what I have done cutting down a spare knife to use with a sled. I have been told by people who know more than I do

"Never use a saw without a knife even if using a sled"
"You don't need a knife when using a sled as you are cross cutting smaller sections"

So much contradictory advice out there

Not modifying safety features seems like very good advice - but it's exactly what I have done cutting down a spare knife to use with a sled. I have been told by people who know more than I do

"You don't need a knife when using a sled as you are cross cutting smaller sections"

I think that when considering using a device, method or technique which requires the removal or adaptation of safety devices, we must ask ourselves why we’re thinking of doing so, and whether there is a better way of approaching the task.

I think that in the case of a sled, can one not be designed that allows the use of a riving knife and guard? If not, then there are several other ways to achieve the end goal.

Consider this: we on the eastern side of the pond have been happily and safely crosscutting small pieces of wood for hundreds of years, and continue to do so in the modern age of health & safety, and pressures of time and output. And yet sleds are not really a thing…

Hmmmm…

Always use a riving knife.

I also say always use a blade guard and proper push sticks but know I am just banging my head against the wall saying this.

I ended up down a Youtube rabbit hole the other night watching table saw safety videos. There were videos telling you how push sticks are dangerous and shouldn't be used, the same for blade guards as they just get in the way etc :(

Loads of bad advice out there and some of it just seems like clickbait or purposely controversial just to get their viewing figures up, totally irresponsible.

Using a sled is dangerous with or without a riving knife as it usually means removing the crown guard

I had some 3mm stainless plate which came in handy to make a new RK from.

You can still use a guard with a crosscut sled like in Kelly's video, screenshot below.

More often than not, I see much discouragement regarding putting any effort into making a
machine safer, for doing things what might not be the norm way things are done.
Don't do it, is the usual thing said.

This little Fisher Price welder with everything you need is only 40 pounds,
should the need arise for certain jobs, like an overhead guard, Shaw guards for trench cuts, outfeed table, mobile base if in a small shed, and whatnot.

All part in parcel of having the frugal startings of a workshop, and the attitude to think nothing of
spending as long as it takes to make something properly safe, not just for today,
cuz a whole year spent working on a machine like a TS, would be thought of as nothing,
compared to spending the rest of your life with missing digits.

If on the fence about spending 40 pounds, then wait and see if they go on discount.

20210219_175042.jpg

Screenshot-2023-4-10 Mastering Your Table Saw (1992 Woodworking VHS) - YouTube.png

I had some 3mm stainless plate which came in handy to make a new RK from.

You can still use a guard with a crosscut sled like in Kelly's video, screenshot below.

More often than not, I see much discouragement regarding putting any effort into making a
machine safer, for doing things what might not be the norm way things are done.
Don't do it, is the usual thing said.

This little Fisher Price welder with everything you need is only 40 pounds,
should the need arise for certain jobs, like an overhead guard, Shaw guards for trench cuts, outfeed table, mobile base if in a small shed, and whatnot.

All part in parcel of having the frugal startings of a workshop, and the attitude to think nothing of
spending as long as it takes to make something properly safe, not just for today,
cuz a whole year spent working on a machine like a TS, would be thought of as nothing,
compared to spending the rest of your life with missing digits.

If on the fence about spending 40 pounds, then wait and see if they go on discount.

View attachment 156967
View attachment 156966
That’s being responsible and having the correct attitude 👍
Sadly it’s extremely rare given the popularity of American woodworking videos on YouTube.

Back