£10

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you get the £10 you will also be getting a pension surely. And then Iof course free Health Care for the whole of your life. Roads to drive on free of charge. I could go on …… I get a bit weary of people moaning about paying taxes. Perhaps better to Moab about some people not paying enough tax!
Yes you get free healthcare if you need it after a certain age but most of those who receive it have paid into the system long enough to earn it.
What's this about roads to drive on free of charge by the way? I must look into that.
I get sick of people moaning about pensioners. They worked for it! I like many others put into the system over 50 years of unbroken taxation and NI contributions and think we deserve it!

I am of the opinion that we don't pay enough taxes full stop! Too many people expect everything including the NHS to run on a shoestring but no one volunteers to pay extra taxes and still expect the government to bail them out when things go awry.
Those who benefitted from the taxpayer's money given to businesses and individuals ( furlough) to keep them afloat during the Covid lockdowns should have been paying extra taxes by now to pay it back but they won't be doing that. That money would come in handy for the chancellor.

The problem is that many people are now struggling through overstretched finances and borrowing as well as the higher costs of living which are biting and once again expect the government ie: taxpayer to bail them out of their lifestyle choices with handouts.

I donated my 10£ , Well i was one pound and ten pence over , may seem a odd selection but it was what they asked for as they have plenty of the basics

Attachments

• processed-28123220-941d-4ebf-9fea-6d0c0be0974f_foa4nMYE.jpeg
    processed-28123220-941d-4ebf-9fea-6d0c0be0974f_foa4nMYE.jpeg
    730.8 KB · Views: 0
you could buy 4 pints in weatherspoons with it and have a bit of change too.

First time I went in a pub admittedly only 16, you could get 4 pints of Carling black label for a pound.
We had a conversation about Carling only last night. Black Label was advertised as the best selling lager when it wasn't actually a lager it was/is a beer. Top fermenting yeast. They stopped calling it lager for a long while.

you could buy 4 pints in weatherspoons with

We had a conversation about Carling only last night. Black Label was advertised as the best selling lager when it wasn't actually a lager it was/is a beer. Top fermenting yeast. They stopped calling it lager for a long while.
I always thought the top/bottom fermentation was a "usually" distinction, rather than a.strict rule, and a quick look at Wikipedia seems to back that up.

I bought some rather good "Baltic Stout" at Lidl a year or so ago, and that was bottom fermented.

@artie is that the one with the really dry aftertaste? A bit like all of the Everards beers around here?
Really wish my local was a Marstons (sorry to digress)!
It was my first introduction to beer, I drank 8 pints of Youngers, well truthfully I spilled most of the last one and fell off my scooter on the way home.
I don't remember the after taste. lol

Clearly everybody has dutifully forgotten Watney’s Red Barrel. The most dire pint ever inflicted on the patrons of any pub in the sixties/seventies. I was fourteen, and was my introduction to a ‘winning pint’ for the pub darts league. Fortunately I knew better and requested Wadworths 6x, a local brew for our pub in Rowde, outside Devizes. They were certainly the times. I don’t regret being old now, I don’t think I’d want to go through another 50 years of ‘progress’ in any form.

Clearly everybody has dutifully forgotten Watney’s Red Barrel. The most dire pint ever inflicted on the patrons of any pub in the sixties/seventies. I was fourteen, and was my introduction to a ‘winning pint’ for the pub darts league. Fortunately I knew better and requested Wadworths 6x, a local brew for our pub in Rowde, outside Devizes. They were certainly the times. I don’t regret being old now, I don’t think I’d want to go through another 50 years of ‘progress’ in any form.
I drank gallons of Red Barrel as a teenager. It was what the pub outside my school gates sold. I can't really remember the taste, but I think Monty Python could have had a lot to do with its demise.

I lived in that general area, and it was said that the workers from the Mortlake brewery had their lunchtime pints in the Young's pub up the road.

I can't remember the taste because it was 54 years ago. I'm probably lucky that it was weak p!ss, since I got through 7 or 8 pints a day back then.

Whilst on the 'beer nostalgia' tack - also remember Red Barrel & Tartan - Specific reason? - When I was 17, my father told me "When you start drinking, lad, whatever you do leave the Guinness alone - it's vile stuff" - I took this advice on board and always drank Brew 11 or Red Barrel - until I discovered Tartan; On one occasion asking for a pint of Tartan, I was told it was 'off'; looking along the bar I said to my 'mate' "Have you ever tried Guinness"? He hadn't so we ordered two 'halves'. -- - -- we hadn't taken more than a couple of swallows before we ordered two more Pints! - I've seldom touched any kind of bitter ever since!

I said apparently (once again). Many beers and ales were made then at a low proof, 3.3% or thereabouts, dark beers sometimes even weaker. I knew a chap with a prodigious appetite for the local stuff and one day someone decided to have a count on a market day. The pubs opened at 10.00am, stayed open all day and the night club closed at 2am. Several talleymen worked in shifts, and counted he'd had fifty eight pints over the day.

Back