£10

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artie

Sawdust manufacturer.
Reaction score
An unexpected £10 appeared in my bank account last week.

Couldn't figure what it was connected to, but as often happens google produced the answer.

A £10 Christmas bonus for being old.

So now I'm wondering what to spend this windfall on.

But seriously £10 pressie in this day and age,

Just noticed mine in the bank account ..... and every little does help. But it does put me in mind of the hoax letters of Henry Root The punch line of many of them was along the lines of : " Here's a £ 1 to restore law and order"

Last edited:
XB suffix definitely Christmas bonus. SP is state pension, WFP is winter fuel payment. XB and WFP are not taxable. We donate ours to a food bank, although I can see why some might need it for other things. Father in law, passed away long ago, used to spend his on something specific, alarm clock, small radio or similar because when it started the tenner was enough to do something with. 50 years ago, 1972, Edward Heath struggling for popular suport in the polls (far fewer then) introduced it to shore up the Tory pensioner votes. Basic state pension was £6.75 a week, so it had a real value, maybe buy your Christmas turkey and all the trimmings. 4 bottles of scotch, 60 pints of beer.

Couldn't figure what it was connected to, but as often happens google produced the answer.

600 quid would be better……..

Trouble is that the guvmint of whatever hue dare not risk the outcry of taking it away and joe public will forget they now get winter heating allowances, energy price support plus more means tested benefits tomthe poor/infirm

Well folks, I *should* have got it but didn't (as yet) but my wife did as usual

I guess its considered next to worthless for those with sufficient pension but for those on very little, perhaps £10 is worth a fair deal and worthwhile having, I suspect the cost of means testing the Christmas bonus would outweigh giving it to all

(except me ;-)

So a life of hard work and paying taxes is rewarded with a tenner,
Don't get me started on that topic lol , Lots of things didn't bother me when I was working but now I am retired i notice a lot of things, I am no way political but since watching the news mainly in the morning [still getting up at 05-30] I cant believe the stuff these Labour MPs say , i first noticed when they had a party at number 10 all they kept saying was "one rule for them" saying that to what ever the question , I have stopped watching it now all i want to hear is what they are going to do for the people when they oppose everything what are they offering ?, talk about bullying in the work place its disgusting that PMQs , I am over that now . P.S No tenner yet

Last edited:

The Irish Government give a Christmas bonus of a whole extra weeks pension. But then they can afford it

Back