Waterproof food and alcohol safe finish?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miles_hot

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking at many of the goblets etc and thinking that one day I'd like to have a go at that I find myself thinking that it would be shame not to use them...

Are there any finishes which protect against putting fluids (and especially wine or spirits) in them?

Miles

I believe that Melamine Laquer is as good as anything Miles ...
It dries quick, but 'full cure' is quite an extended period.

My understanding is that this is as good as anything for useable goblets ... others may have other suggestions, of course :wink: :lol:

I use beeswax. Rub it in well and it makes the wood pretty much safe for use. I have done some with just veg oil and re oil after uase. This seems to work as well. The original wooden tankards etc would not have been treated with anything that can't be obtained naturally. Don't use toxic woods though if you are going to drink from them. Yew, Laburnum, Iroko, are No No's. I have done a couple in pine and they have been OK nut make sure it isn't a treated pine or a pitch pine. Red wine is best in walnut or some other dark wood as it stains no matter how the wood is treated IME.

Hope this helps.

Pete

I have rather a nice oak tankard, which I use for beer. It is varnished with marine/yacht varnish according to the guy who made it. I've been using it for nearly 2 years (not continuously you understand :D ). The finish is holding up well.

I wash it carefully and don't leave it soaking in case the finish is cracked anywhere. It's a bit shiny, but I'm pretty impressed with it.

thanks for the replies chaps, just one thought I had - what about gold leaf? I think they use it for communion chalices but I'm not sure what you'd seal it with... :)

Back