Tool Cabinet - FINISHED

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fantastic, and a real pleasure following this thread.

Actually, Lord Nibbo makes a good point there - how about an area of the site for 'Inspirational builds' or some such. Doesn't have to be a forum category but something like this, which has garnered as much praise as it has, should be more publicised rather than left to drop off the forum. An alternative idea might be for a yearly 'forum award' voted for by the members. Perhaps the mods could select 5-10 builds through the year then have a public vote between xmas and new year with the 3 best projects given a yearly first second and third placing and a prominent position on the website. No prizes other than kudos, no effort other than the mods picking the entrants (sorry if thats alot of work for already overworked mods!). These are random 'as I type ideas' so feel free to dismiss or discuss. These kind of threads do really inspire me to get down into my workshop, even though I know I will never attain such skill levels.

Steve.

Hi tony

the guy you got your measurements from was there an original thread on this cabinet by Chris (waterhead 37) by any chance? just out of interest .hc

Absolutely stunning work there, Waka.
Stunning.

That's the kind of tool cupboard that just gives a warm, fuzzy feeling and I think it is absolutely fantastic. A fantastic use of wood.

It makes me almost ashamed of the cupboards I have in mind for my planned workshop, thankfully I'll never have to put that plywood creation next to yours so it's not too bad.

StevieB":1rvvxd8h said:
Fantastic, and a real pleasure following this thread.

Actually, Lord Nibbo makes a good point there - how about an area of the site for 'Inspirational builds' or some such. Doesn't have to be a forum category but something like this, which has garnered as much praise as it has, should be more publicised rather than left to drop off the forum. An alternative idea might be for a yearly 'forum award' voted for by the members. Perhaps the mods could select 5-10 builds through the year then have a public vote between xmas and new year with the 3 best projects given a yearly first second and third placing and a prominent position on the website. No prizes other than kudos, no effort other than the mods picking the entrants (sorry if thats alot of work for already overworked mods!). These are random 'as I type ideas' so feel free to dismiss or discuss. These kind of threads do really inspire me to get down into my workshop, even though I know I will never attain such skill levels.

Steve.
We had a similar idea a couple of years ago started by Tony (mod) which was the 'Interesting Pieces of Furniture' thread, where members submitted pieces (not made by themselves) for analysis. There were some very interesting pieces...might be time to have another shot at it? - Rob

All thank you for your kind comments they are much appreciated.

I do have to thank a couple of guys for their help and guidance.

As some of you will be aware Chris Knight (Waterhead 37) made a cabinet based on Andy Rae's from the Jim Tolpin book " The Toolbox Book" .
HC you should be able to track this thread down.

I have to thank Chris for letting me see, photograph and take measurements from his cabinet, (by the way Chris's cabinet is really stunning) and help me via the phone when I've had queries, I think without this help I would have fallen by the wayside.

Also to Martin (Mahking51) who has come up with some good suggestions during the build.

I'm back to reality now making picture frames for one of my daughters.

Any possibility of pictures with the draws open waka? See how you've stored it all in the end?

Chems":2u6std3k said:
Any possibility of pictures with the draws open waka? See how you've stored it all in the end?

Chems I'm still playing around with the draw configuration, but when finished I'd be happy to send you some pic's.

Tony,
It's a cracking job - you can be justifiably very proud of it. I think the 'murricanism of "heirloom piece" is overused but definitely not in this case. The grandkids will be salivating over the prospect of inheriting it one day!

Although our cabinets are similar in basic design to Andy Rae's and no doubt many others out there somewhere, it's great to see how much individuality can be imparted though the details - choices of wood, finish, fittings etc.

Tony,

S'allright , I suppose...of course no one else has seen the bookshelf I made in our kitchen for HID's cookbooks... :) That is REALLY something!

Seriously, well done, its been a longish road from that shed full of rosewood in Abbotsbury, thorough all the endless cups of tea talking about it.
Finally to arrive at a piece your grandchildren will be justifiably proud of.

Personally, I place little credence in the rumour that they already have a contract out on you..... :wink:
Well Done mate!
Martin

waterhead37":buh5irv9 said:
The grandkids will be salivating over the prospect of inheriting it one day!
Speaking of which, with something as nice as this, that's the kind of thing you'd probably want to deal with in your will.
Worth thinking about, Waka?

It'd be a nightmare to have a family get into stress over something so nice.

mahking51":1gm72g33 said:
Tony,

S'allright , I suppose...of course no one else has seen the bookshelf I made in our kitchen for HID's cookbooks... :) That is REALLY something!

Seriously, well done, its been a longish road from that shed full of rosewood in Abbotsbury, thorough all the endless cups of tea talking about it.
Finally to arrive at a piece your grandchildren will be justifiably proud of.

Personally, I place little credence in the rumour that they already have a contract out on you..... :wink:
Well Done mate!
Martin

Ah the book shelf, you must let me take some pic's for the forum. :? :?

Stunning work Waka. Thankyou for documenting it so thoroughly :D. Here are the other threads mentioned above (now I've found them at last :shock:):

Chris's original cabinet and it being measured by Waka.

Wonderful stuff
Boz

Simply amazing and a fitting piece of furniture to the tools that grace it's insides.

I'm just finishing my first cabinet, one day I hope to be half that good at butchering wood. Hope you enjoy your well earned break Waka

Hey Waka, I have just stumbled across this thread, and not sure I can add anything to the comments already posted, but was just blown away by the piece and how stunning it looks. I have been toying with the idea of making something similar for my workshop, albeit smaller, and you have just made that idea a definite. I can only hope mine is half as fantastic as yours, very well done.

Cheers, Mark

Mark

Thanks for the positive comments, it seems such a long time ago.

I'm just in the process of finishing off a similar cabinet for HID's to put all her sewing and craft stuff in. Unfortunately I didn't do WIP pic's so it'll just be the finished cabinet.

Back