Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

 Reply
By Lindas
#1318021
Hi AndyT and AES,

I thought I'd replied, but can't see my message. Thank you both for your kindness. Perhaps £2 is a bit low so I'll try £3 per file and sort into brand families and sets with a free handle and try to offer some next week.

I am pretty confident about them after my Skype and files lessons with AES.

Thank you both for such kind help
By Lindas
#1318549
Thank you all for such kindness with sorting the saw sharpening files. I feel much more confident about them and now know which are saw sharpening and which are other triangular files. Your help with these and the many other things from dad's workshops has helped me sort scrap from useful and marry up items with each other. Everyone's kindness and generosity has really helped me in terms of lifting the isolation and sadness of such a huge task. 22 tonnes of timber has been given to charity, woodturning clubs and some to the recycling centre (just 18 van loads).

The moderators do not feel it is appropriate for me to offer the saw sharpening files in the Ukw market place because my contributions have been about sorting and rehoming if dad's workshop items and allowing me would set a precedent possibly for others. I understand and agree with this.

I really, really enjoyed reading the posts and, as said before, have learnt so much from being allowed to be a member of Ukw. I will continue to check in from time to time but I don't think you will want to hear about my bathroom renovations - I have the ceiling taken down and half the walls stripped back to brick in preparation for changing the layout - best to leave having no bathroom fixtures until summer I think!!!

With my very, very warmest wishes

Linda
User avatar
By MikeG.
#1318565
Lindas wrote:.......... 22 tonnes of timber has been given to charity, woodturning clubs and some to the recycling centre (just 18 van loads).........


Bloody hell! That is seriously generous. I'd have hired a small truck and collected that, and handed over £££££s.......and that's living at the other end of the country. Wood is far more important in a workshop than tools.
User avatar
By Lons
#1318603
MikeG. wrote:
Lindas wrote:.......... 22 tonnes of timber has been given to charity, woodturning clubs and some to the recycling centre (just 18 van loads).........


Bloody hell! That is seriously generous. I'd have hired a small truck and collected that, and handed over £££££s.......and that's living at the other end of the country. Wood is far more important in a workshop than tools.


I wouldn't dare do that, my missus would kill me first. I thought I had collected a lot of wood but 22 tonnes could fill a small timber yard. It's a valuable and expensive material these days.

Get the bathroom sorted Linda!
Years ago after being on the receiving end of a lot of nagging I relented and bought a suite, stored it in the conservatory where it sat for more than 2 years before I got around to fitting it, :oops: The subject still surfaces on odd occasions. :lol:
By SammyQ
#1318633
I am SO glad to learn that even a professional builder gets waylaid by Life and that my delays are 'normal'. :D

Sam
By Lindas
#1318649
Folks, I know about the timber, but dad's home is isolated, empty, surrounded by land awaiting development and with just one neighbour so we couldn't do an open advert for the timber. Also we had workshops overflowing with tools so much so that we didn't know what was there, so we couldn't risk odds and sods knowing. If I had met all of you at the beginning you could have come to collect it. The timber we let go, to focus on the tools. I think we would still have been at it in 3 years if not.
By Lindas
#1318651
PS: Bathroom is in year 2 now!!!!

You've gotta let a project mellow. I'm not ripping that toilet out now until the summer. Buckets and winter don't mix!
User avatar
By Lons
#1318656
Lindas wrote:PS: Bathroom is in year 2 now!!!!

You've gotta let a project mellow. I'm not ripping that toilet out now until the summer. Buckets and winter don't mix!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
By Lons
#1318657
SammyQ wrote:I am SO glad to learn that even a professional builder gets waylaid by Life and that my delays are 'normal'. :D

Sam


Yep Sam procrastination is perfectly normal as far as I'm concerned though my wife wasn't quite so understanding. She's mellowed a lot now and learned that I just shut my ears and dig in my heels. I'll never understand hows she's put up with me for 47 years. :lol:

How's the painting coming on?
User avatar
By Lons
#1318659
Lindas wrote:PS: Bathroom is in year 2 now!!!!

You've gotta let a project mellow. I'm not ripping that toilet out now until the summer. Buckets and winter don't mix!


Hi Linda, they can but very wise not to. :lol:

When we bought this house 32 years ago it had been subject of fire damage and been empty with a hole in the roof for 6 months over the winter so a large project and I had to set up a workshop in the lounge. I had a full time job and worked on it every weekend and evening as we had to live in it and I don't know how my wife managed with 2 young kids, it took a long time, also a large garden with waist high grass taller than my son at the time - he loved it.
It was my project as I could see the huge potential which my wife couldn't but it stretched us financially and was tough for quite a while, we had no kitchen but luckily 2 bathrooms and a downstairs cloaks so no bucket required.

As I said previously I'm trying to sort out my stuff to hopefully make it easier for the family when the inevitable happens but that said I bought another machine yesterday so not doing very well. :oops:
By SammyQ
#1318695
How's the painting coming on?


Bob, I'll send you a P.M.later tonight.

Sam
By Lindas
#1318798
Hi Lons,

Good to hear about your past house renovation. This house was in a similar condition. A repossession, empty for 2 years with damage from a big water burst. We lived down stairs until the bedrooms were fit for purpose. It is a lovely friendly square of houses that were the original fire service family homes for Salford's 1906 built fire service. They were done up by Barratt's in the 1980s and the owners have been putting that right since!! I was brought up doing DIY and when I met Michael I asked him to paint a wall in the kitchen. When I got back from work. No painting, no Michael.
Hours later he came home and said he didn't know how to paint but as it was second nature to me he didn't know how to tell me. He does love to cook and I am a dreadful cook so it all works out. For a city house we have a big garden in a similar state to yours at the beginning, and the council let the community set up a communal garden on the former Manchester Bury Bolton canal so veg in the middle of the city. A stepping stone away from the Manchester Ship canal, which brought me over the Pennines to live - it's a thing of wonder and awe. But I am smitten by old industry. We visited the Kelham Island Industrial Museum in Sheffield, because I haven't seen enough of old tools clearly, a Bessemer outside and the massive Don engine inside. It's a good visit.
User avatar
By Bm101
#1318804
Linda. It has been an absolute revelation talking to you.
I wish I was close enough to pop in for a chat and a cup of tea. Maybe a slice of toast in the kitchen.

I salute you and yours.
I would think your father was very proud of you.
I hope you don't mind me saying.

My very best regards Linda.
Fair play.


Chris
By scooby
#1318808
Lindas wrote:Hi Lons,

Good to hear about your past house renovation. This house was in a similar condition. A repossession, empty for 2 years with damage from a big water burst. We lived down stairs until the bedrooms were fit for purpose. It is a lovely friendly square of houses that were the original fire service family homes for Salford's 1906 built fire service. They were done up by Barratt's in the 1980s and the owners have been putting that right since!! I was brought up doing DIY and when I met Michael I asked him to paint a wall in the kitchen. When I got back from work. No painting, no Michael.
Hours later he came home and said he didn't know how to paint but as it was second nature to me he didn't know how to tell me. He does love to cook and I am a dreadful cook so it all works out. For a city house we have a big garden in a similar state to yours at the beginning, and the council let the community set up a communal garden on the former Manchester Bury Bolton canal so veg in the middle of the city. A stepping stone away from the Manchester Ship canal, which brought me over the Pennines to live - it's a thing of wonder and awe. But I am smitten by old industry. We visited the Kelham Island Industrial Museum in Sheffield, because I haven't seen enough of old tools clearly, a Bessemer outside and the massive Don engine inside. It's a good visit.


Hooray, another Manchester member. :mrgreen: I'm sorry I missed your earlier posts regarding tools and timber. I would have probably bought some of both (without sounding presumptuous) if I had known earlier.
Good to hear that you've done well selling and it was very generous to give away all the timber. My condolences for your loss.
User avatar
By Lons
#1318813
Sounds great Linda, a nice place to live.

The painting reminded me of my mother when I was a child. Dad used to nag that she didn't do any decorating so one day she did and he came home from work to find a hell of a mess with a river of paint dripping off the door on to newspapers, she had used a whole 1 pint ( old measurements ) tin on one side of the door.

The nagging stopped instantly and she never picked up a paintbrush again often recalling the incident with a smile and a wink. :lol: