Plane sharpening help please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you saw to a line?

(As long as no one of the jig lovers can answer these simple questions, I will add tasks, normal for any handtool woodworking shop, which are almost impossible to do with a jig. And being a weekend warrior is no excuse. I can freehand sharpen a chisel too, with ease).

To counter some of the missleading drivel which we have been subjected to;

Axminster honing guide approx £7, does square edges and camber. I think it is much the best for beginners.

Stones should be reasonably flat, setting is not difficult.

I demonstrate my techniques on my DVDs and take considerably less time to sharpen than Paul Sellers.

best wishes,
David

There are only two ways, Jacobs way and the wrong way.

Pete

Ok, I might be overdoing it a bit. But there is something weird going on. Why would you use a jig to sharpen the easiest tools in your shop? And then having to learn freehand sharpening when things get difficult? And all the time you need to learn freehand techniques for cutting wood and manipulating the tools anyway?

I'm still looking for answers who can explain this contradiction.

(And I am not holier then thou, I've used a jig for a long time too. Even bought the Veritas MK2 with cambered roller and all. But learning freehand sharpening when I recognised it was inevitable, was a great, liberating experience. Makes for a lot faster and more frequent sharpening too, despite the nay sayers).

And bexupnorth, don't listen to them, and just keep on practicing. Could you explain the procedure you are using now? Then we can give more detailed advice.

Corneel":2jdy79we said:
Ok, I might be overdoing it a bit.

Yes , you are :) Stop worrying about it, it's not important. You hone the way you want to do it and the rest of us will hone the way we want to do it. Problem solved........

Cheers :wink:

Paul

How different is sharpening a gouge and a chisel? One can be jigged, the other can't. Sharpening the chisel freehand is definitely a degree easier then sharpening a gouge. But people choose to use a jig for the chisel. That's a contradiction, as far as I can see.

Oh, and cheers too :)

Corneel":263j2yyp said:
How different is sharpening a gouge and a chisel? One can be jigged, the other can't.

You buy a tormek for hundreds of £`s to sharpen the gouges etc, then you can spend hundreds more £`s buying all the jigs that go with the grinder :lol: :lol: :lol:

Personally i use a couple of discs of MDF impregnated with cutting paste spinning on an old electric motor to hone my gouges, I feel i`m letting the side down & some poor tool sellers children are going to be missing out this Christmas :-"

Regards.

dj.

dj.":291bsmy5 said:
Corneel":291bsmy5 said:
How different is sharpening a gouge and a chisel? One can be jigged, the other can't.

You buy a tormek for hundreds of £`s to sharpen the gouges etc, then you can spend hundreds more £`s buying all the jigs that go with the grinder :lol: :lol: :lol:

Personally i use a couple of discs of MDF impregnated with cutting paste spinning on an old electric motor to hone my gouges, I feel i`m letting the side down & some poor tool sellers children are going to be missing out this Christmas :-"

Regards.

dj.
When I've had a go at carving I've done similar - plywood disc on lathe, with rounded edge and metal polish. Gets a lovely polish and sharp edge in no time. Freehand of course, no jigs needed. Can be done without a powered wheel, if necessary. Maybe we should have a whip round for the poor tool sellers? Some say they should get proper jobs.

Corneel":1vitm0b8 said:

And bexupnorth, don't listen to them, and just keep on practicing. ....
Yep. Can't go wrong - who needs training wheels?
How up north are you BTW? You are welcome to drop in here for a demo and a plane set-up session (mid Derbyshire). No charge but beer always welcome! No DVDs to buy ( yet. 8) . )

Back