Where do you guys buy your wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianhabby

Established Member
Reaction score
For scrollsaw work most of the projects require very thin wood and plywood isn't suitable for a lot of work. So, where do you buy your wood from please?

Thanks

Brian

Hi Brian,

This Q comes up pretty often here ;-)

Based on previous replies here, and my own experience, try one or more of the following:

1. Visit charity shops, etc, on the look out for cheap, battered, but solid wood furniture, not chipboard veneer of course; 2. Look in skips, etc; 3. Get in with local chippying shops, pub & shop fitters, kitchen installers, etc, for off cuts; 4. From time to time "sympathetic" members here offer decent off cuts in the For Sale section.

All the above assume you have the capability to saw, plane, sand, etc such timbers into sizes & thicknesses you need.

Also: 5. If you have one nearby, model shops dealing in planes & boats will often have excellent small sheets of ply, obechi, etc in stock. Expensive but good, and sized to thicknesses that make sense for us; 6. Hobbies Ltd, Norfolk (used to be in Dereham but moved I think, and mail order only I think) good range of various timbers in thicknesses that make sense for us; 7. Try looking on the bay, again mainly "exotics" and off cuts; 8. Lots of ads in US Scroll mags, but (unsurprisingly) seem to be all US companies, so I guess postage/import makes that even more costly.

HTH

Thanks for the replies guys. There are some useful resources there and I will be looking at some of them, I especially like the idea of finding old furniture that is being discarded. There is an auction house nearby and they sometimes have old pieces that they can't sell which they leave out for anyone to take.

regards

Brian

Hi all,

sorry if this is hijacking the thread but can I expand the question a bit more generally?
Where do you buy your wood generally, for example birch ply, oak, good quality and veneered MDF and even softwood?
I live in Cheddar and am struggling to find a good timber merchant that can help.

sorry again and thanks

John

Oaktree11":2o8utt2n said:
Hi all,

sorry if this is hijacking the thread but can I expand the question a bit more generally?
Where do you buy your wood generally, for example birch ply, oak, good quality and veneered MDF and even softwood?
I live in Cheddar and am struggling to find a good timber merchant that can help.

sorry again and thanks

John
A lot of hardwood places don't do much, if any, in the way of sheet materials.

If you want decent Birch ply (and not just MDF, sheathing ply or basic hardwood ply) you need to travel further.

There is a thread on the forum if you do a search for suppliers.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Oaktree11":a9j4key2 said:
Hi all,

sorry again and thanks

John

I can't get all thicknesses of birch ply where I live but some merchants will order it in. You might pay a little more for it but at least you can get it & it saves driving for miles. I would ask around to see who can do this for you.

regards

Brian

have you tried ebay I bit expensive but most have free delivery , that's where I get mine from and other wood from Stiles and Bates again expensive but top quality wood and you can order a free catalogue, I have to use this as I live too far from - 25 mile nearest town - and could not get what I wanted if I went there.

John

Back