Wood for scroll saw projects

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a good UK source for buying the relatively small amounts of wood needed for projects please? I am currently just setting up and learning the basics of scrolling using pine offcuts from joinery but hopefully will start doing some more serious work soon.
Thanks in advance.

3/4” pine is fairly inexpensive and can readily be available at your local DIY store like B&Q etc in various widths and lengths.
If you know of a local furniture manufacturer they may have a bin of offcuts and be only too happy for you to take them off their hands.

Have a look at those plastic wrapped shelves in B+Q etc. Not the cheapest but they are sanded and knot free.

Take a trip to your local small industrial estate and find an architectural joiners. They will usually be only too willing to fill your boot with useful offcuts for a small sum, or a box of tea bags and a BIG box of biscuits.

Colin

Can anyone suggest a good UK source for buying the relatively small amounts of wood needed for projects please? I am currently just setting up and learning the basics of scrolling using pine offcuts from joinery but hopefully will start doing some more serious work soon.
Thanks in advance.
Old furniture often offers excellent wood for fretwork, many people throw out good quality sets of drawers etc made from decent plywood and hardwood and purchase modern looking items made from MDF that are held together with plastic fittings. Old Drawers sides are often oak or an oak look-alike and the bottoms are usually decent quality birch plywood both ideal for fretwork.
Everything I make come from either old furniture or offcuts that I have scrounged, I never buy wood.

if you buy your wood from a reputable source at least you can get more if you need it.
Old drawer bottoms are often warped and could contain woodworm and voids I wouldn’t bother with that rubbish

Old drawer bottoms are often warped and could contain woodworm and voids I wouldn’t bother with that rubbish
That''s a bit of a 'harsh' Obviously you choose decent wood from furniture rather than anything warped or with woodworm!
Would you describe the little decorative cupboard below a 'rubbish'? I made this using wood from an old chest of drawers inc the fretted overlays.
Wood from old furniture is often a lot better than stuff you can buy today and it's good to recycle rather than having it scrapped or burnt.

Attachments

• img20181225_12255170.jpg
    img20181225_12255170.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 0
If you want small quantities of ply it’s sold in packs of 10 a4 laser grade which is aa or bb, on places like eBay
lesser quality is c and d usually for concealed areas

Hobbies also sell packs of ply which look to be good quality, and they also have "real wood" in small sizes and different thicknesses - I seem to remember obechi, bass wood, spruce, and various others.

Also if there's a model aero shop anywhere near you, check that out. The best usually stock superb quality ply in smaller sizes and in varying thicknesses. I have some 1.00 mm ply which has five laminations. It's excellent stuff.

HTH

Hobbies also sell packs of ply which look to be good quality, and they also have "real wood" in small sizes and different thicknesses - I seem to remember obechi, bass wood, spruce, and various others.

Also if there's a model aero shop anywhere near you, check that out. The best usually stock superb quality ply in smaller sizes and in varying thicknesses. I have some 1.00 mm ply which has five laminations. It's excellent stuff.

HTH
Spot on on both counts, wood from these suppliers does work out quite expensive but as you say it is very good quality, We have a model railway shop near us (Cheltenham Model centre) and they sell small plywood panels inc the 1.00mm you mention.

Old furniture often offers excellent wood for fretwork, many people throw out good quality sets of drawers etc made from decent plywood and hardwood and purchase modern looking items made from MDF that are held together with plastic fittings. Old Drawers sides are often oak or an oak look-alike and the bottoms are usually decent quality birch plywood both ideal for fretwork.
Everything I make come from either old furniture or offcuts that I have scrounged, I never buy wood.
Agreed, it's a shame that such good quality furniture ends up thrown away in favour of some modern stuff. Perfect for upcycling and there's always plenty of stuff in the local area
Good suggestion

if you buy your wood from a reputable source at least you can get more if you need it.
Being selective with "rubbish" is generally free of charge, a good observation and a few checks before you begin is all you need....
You need good eyes when scrolling so any signs of issues with material should be straight forward to see.

Check out your local IKEA, as they used to have a section on outside in the car park where the old display units were offered to the public. Most of it is chipboard or MDF, but their can be Spruce etc, or even even 5mm thick pine sheets. Also sign up to your local Freecycle group, there is usually various pieces of wooden furniture being chucked. Never, ever had woodworm yet in any pieces of furniture from Freecycle.
Like Scrimper , I never pay for wood and over the years have built up a sizeable stock for turning and other projects.
I have a couple of large Iroko pieces that once formed a large fire place surround/mantle-piece, which I got from Freecycle.

I but laser quality Baltic birch plywood from Laserply.co.uk Prices seem decent and you can buy in small quantities.

Back