Post a photo of the last thing you turned (!)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you make yourself a faceplate out of a disc of MDF/Ply/Chipboard attached to a 'block' with a cork table mat surface you can hold your item against that with the tailstock, you can even use additional mats glued to the face to provide additional stepped cantering guides to locate your items.

Thanks for the tip. Worked a treat.

Took the point about shape to heart, this is what I came up with... not very inventive but then I only have 2 tools to work with.

cherry-tiny.png

The rim was quite a bit of fun as I expected it to not be there by the time I'd completed.

cherry-side.png

Practical as ever, it can be used as a hat in an emergency...

hat.png

The blanks I have are quite small , around a couple of inches. Any suggestions on shaping ones that thin, given I have to screw them to a faceplate?

Also, cherry is such a lovely wood to work with. Also worked on my sanding more with this one.

Made this yew vase for a present from a log that’s been sat under my bench for 3 years
It stands 12” tall and is 7”across the top
Turned using a 1” roughing gouge and hollowed using a Sorby hollowing tool
Finish is 4 coats of sanding sealer
My first bit of turning of some time

Attachments

• 8969F16B-FB05-4B70-BCB7-D0CD9AEA08BA.jpeg
    8969F16B-FB05-4B70-BCB7-D0CD9AEA08BA.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 300
  • 0A8C208C-767C-455B-AB35-C9E17A1B5B26.jpeg
    0A8C208C-767C-455B-AB35-C9E17A1B5B26.jpeg
    132.4 KB · Views: 300
ScaredyCat":38peoy5z said:
Hot glue is sticking a bit too well and clean up is an issue.

I learned very quickly not to put hot melt in places I couldn't get something hot to release the blank.
Isopropyl alcohol softens hot melt and aids its removal, not that you'll be able to buy it at the moment.

Can't remember the last time I tried to release hot melt, have got into the habit of arranging turning/holding sequence so that I part it off or turn it off when item reversed.

I'm trying to get a bit of time in the workshop. Its seldom I get to make a piece for our monthly chapter challenge. Got a few hours in over the weekend and got a piece done for this months challenge, a ceiling rose.

I'd a bit of a battle with this piece, was pretty out of balance. 12" x 2" spalted Beech.

ESwL_ecXYAEaAbO

Mahogany and Af.blackwood 200mm high. Hollowed through base and sealed with blackwood insert.

Attachments

• P1160370 multimss.jpg
    P1160370 multimss.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 174
A lifetime of designing technical products for mass production then a week in my retirement refuge(shed) making a humble router mechanism.

That's some Tour de force Kim, certainly a Goblet with a difference, a different composition of forms from the norm that never the less works.

Thanks Chas, it's a bit of a theme ATM getting ready for some more complex stuff.

I could see something very similar with your coloured high gloss treatment of the mid stem feature.

Actually what I want to do is more like your own field with different timbers providing the colour, like rosewood and ebony for the stems etc, I need to hone the technique though, I would be a bit narked if a nice length of cocobolo flew off the lathe in bits!

KimG":phvwj6vz said:
Actually what I want to do is more like your own field with different timbers providing the colour, like rosewood and ebony for the stems etc, I need to hone the technique though, I would be a bit narked if a nice length of cocobolo flew off the lathe in bits!
That sort of piece would lend itself very well to that, tenon jointing the individual sections would allow the use of much smaller individual lengths of 'exotics' spindle turned on mandrels or glue block mounted.

Back