planner thicknesser set up! except able error??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdesign

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Just set up my SCM Minimax FS30 Planner Thicknesser. when planning a flat wide board it was between .5 of a mm, one side was taking off a little more but thicknessing will fix this it is out just over .1 of a mm is that accurate enough got it fairly quickly that good but scared i'd make it worse if i go to try improve it.

Regards Richard

I dont think that the 0.1mm is an issue. I would be very happy with that. I do wonder if you would be wise to get something like a Oneway gauge (or other measuring device) to enable you to set the knives quickly and accurately in the future. In this way the the 0.1mm can apply to the planing side as a standalone. Whether 0.5mm is an issue is a moot point, but the fact that you are nervous about having to set them for fear of losing that setting suggests that the procedure could be better. Seems a shame to have a decent bit of kit and not use it to its full potential.

Must get myself one of those oneway gauges!

Hello,

I'm not sure quite what you are saying about the surface planer side. Are you saying that there is .5 mm difference from one side to the other, of a board when surface planing? That is too much, if this is the case. 0.1 thicknessing is OK, I suppose.

Do you not set your knives with reference to the outfield table? This will get much better accuracy for surface planing than 0.5 mm, then adjust the thicknessing table for parallelism to that.

Mike.

when i Got the saw its surfacing tables were off! when i put them on they were completely out of co planner but the blades were consistent to the cutter head so i adjusted the tables to the blades and the out table seems good with the blades its the infeed table is .463 of a mm lower on left side than the right but it planes flat, I think it will just be wasting material slightly on the heavier cut side. when thicknessing was a slight variant at the 4 corners no more than .15 of a mm. the thicknessing error is the only one i'm going to have with my final piece I would believe when edging boards on the surfacer could be the only place i find error but that would only be over a 1 to 2 inch thick piece where the error of .5mm is over a 12 inch surfacing table.

I hate messing with machines and not making sawdust! :(

Thanks for the comments want to get the disposable blade kit I have seen talked about on this site can't remember the name tho.

Hello,

You've already answered your own question, really, if you can live with this, then it is OK for you. It would get on my nerves and I would fix it for me, though.

One thing you might not have thought of; when prepping wide boards, you will lose 1 mm of material unnecessarily, (.5 mm error then .5 mm to correct it) which might not sound significant, but since a wide board is likely to yield thinner material anyway, it might be more significant than you think!

Mike.

no not Tersa the tersa block costs a fortune its blades with a backing section u connect to ur original block so after its set up the first time you can then just switch out new blades without having to set the height.
http://www.estausa.com/ saw a english provider on this but can't find it now.

Back