My Sitooterie

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul200

Established Member
Reaction score
....or Garden Room or Summer House. Similar to a workshop WIP but with beer 8)

At risk of boring everyone I thought I'd post progress on my big shed project mainly to invite criticism because, although fairly confident in what I'm doing, I don't know everything and sometimes can't see the bl**ding obvious!

We were lucky enough to be able to follow our dream and retire to SW Scotland last year. We found a 150yo cottage 'in need of restoration' with a couple of acres of land and an old tin shed with a 60' Oak on it's roof! We cleared the timber and took what was left of the shed apart and were left with a pile of corrugated roofing sheets and a concrete base 5m x 4m. (And a whole load of timber for our woodburner :) )

The outlook from the site is fabulous so we decided to make the most of it and build a garden room with a deck on two sides, all enclosed under an overall roof - neither of us are sun-worshippers and it rains a bit here so we didn't want an open deck.

This is what we want to end up with...
Sitooterie.jpg

The concrete base was solid enough but broken up in places - especially towards the back (nearest the camera). I considered pouring more concrete over the top of it all but didn't fancy hauling tons of materials up the hill so opted for individually cast blocks at 60cm intervals for the 4x2 cross-members - supported at 130cm across the width.....
IMG_0586b.jpg

IMG_0588b.jpg

The decking went in next, with gaps left for the 4x4 support posts....
IMG_0589b.jpg

The banding strapped around the timber delivery came in useful to support the polystyrene floor insulation...
IMG_0590b.jpg

More to come later and, as I said, any helpful comments are more than welcome.

Cheers

Paul

Attachments

• Sitooterie.jpg
    Sitooterie.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 3,208
  • IMG_0586b.jpg
    IMG_0586b.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 3,209
  • IMG_0588b.jpg
    IMG_0588b.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 3,209
  • IMG_0589b.jpg
    IMG_0589b.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 3,209
  • IMG_0590b.jpg
    IMG_0590b.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 3,209
MickCheese":2zbhuxo0 said:
Will be watching this. I have no helpful comments but I do like a god shed build.

Mick

I see....an ecclesiastical project. I will watch with interest. Not many folks have a 'kirk' in their garden. :D

Hope I live up to expectations Mick.

Next up were the 4x4 support posts around the edge of the deck. These were fixed inside the base frame with coach screws and the decking cut out to fit around them. Tidy!
IMG_0593b.jpg

75mm of polystyrene insulation pushed into the base - held level by the strapping underneath....
IMG_0596b.jpg

I then spotted a problem. Where the edge of the OSB floor meets the edge of the deck could easily be a water trap that would seep into the building. I opted for a DPM over the entire floor area of the 'house' part of the building, to be continued up the walls of the house by about 8" and eventually covered by the breather membrane and cladding timbers. Problem hopefully solved.

18mm OSB3 flooring going down.....
IMG_0597b.jpg

Floor done and 3x2 footers in place (yesterday).....
IMG_0598b.jpg

A storm was predicted for last night and the British Open golf started so everything was wrapped up warm and dry and probably won't be looked at again until Monday! Have a good weekend.

Cheers

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_0593b.jpg
    IMG_0593b.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 3,162
  • IMG_0596b.jpg
    IMG_0596b.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 3,164
  • IMG_0597b.jpg
    IMG_0597b.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 3,161
  • IMG_0598b.jpg
    IMG_0598b.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 3,162
Looks like your building a house! What timber you doing the walls in?

Cheers

Haha! I need somewhere to go when the wife gets fed up with me!

It's not that big - about 3m x 3m - the 'house' bit anyway. And it's known to get a wee bit chilly up here so insulation is a must have. The walls will be 3x2 frames wrapped up in breather membrane, 2x1 counter battens and 3/4" overlap cladding. Rockwool type insulation stuffed in the framework and 12mm OSB3 on the inside. Windows are some big old Georgian sashes made for a neighbour's house that turned out to be the wrong size - I need to work out how best to use these as I want to turn them into top-hung casements. The door is currently a 'Juliet' balcony door in our house but we're about to have all our windows replaced and I'll re-use it.

The corrugated sheets from the original shed will go on the roof and get covered in bitumen paint.

Glad I'm retired - not enough time for a job as well!

Lol better make sure to kit it out with a tv and somewhere to sleep then!

One other thing you sed you "cast" the blocks do mean you made the blocks yourself on top of the ground if so how? Did you make some kind of forms?

Cheers

Haha! Thought about electric but it's a long way from the house. May do something solar later - we'll see.

I did make the blocks with a former. The original concrete was a bit uneven (to say the least) so although the tops of the blocks are all level, the individual depths vary. The only way I could think of to do this easily and successfully was with two 5m lengths of 2x1 joined across the ends with more 2x1 to give two sides of a long 'ladder' 235mm apart. I then placed this on the ground, levelled it up and put house bricks in between the rails at the right intervals to give 235x235 square blocks at 60cm centres. So the bricks, in effect, form the rungs of the 'ladder'. Then I mixed the concrete (my business down south was a tool shop so I have a mixer, among other useful things!) and tamped it down between the bricks. Underspill below the rails where the ground level was significantly lower is a good thing because it gives a larger footprint for the taller blocks - which need it.

Trickiest bit was getting the rails level but offcuts of timber, bits of slate and plastic packers proved their worth there. I left the concrete overnight then tapped the bricks away before they became stuck fast and moved on to the next row. Job's a good 'un!

Last night's weather has suggested an alternative use for the base!

IMG_0599b.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0599b.jpg
    IMG_0599b.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 3,091
Thanks Chris. I was a bit concerned about the 130cm span - laziness and old age were major contributors - but if there was any significant bounce in the timbers I could have cast another line of blocks in between. Luckily there's no need! Although I think I'll go for something more solid when I build a workshop later on.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks guys.

Sitooterie - old Scots word - means what it says!

Packing straps - forgot to put small dimension timber on my order - for battens - so set my mind looking for alternatives.

I've been busy since the Open golf finished and have stud walls, gable ends and a ridge installed - but no photos! I'll take some today weather willing.

Slainte!

Had a whole day without rain today so cracked on with the roof ....
IMG_0601b.jpg

The final roofing material will be corrugated metal (from the old tractor shed), which can be pitched down to very shallow angles. This is important here because I need to keep the ridge height down to 4m above the lowest surrounding ground level - that's my understanding of permitted development regs anyway. The shallow angle is about 25 degrees - which is fine. We have an offset ridge to mimic the lie of the land - we're building on a narrow flat area part way up a steep bank at the back of our property and hopefully the angle of the roof will follow the contour. It's not easy to see this from my closely taken pictures but I'll take a break and walk down the lane and take some landscape views to show what I mean. In the meantime here's a photo taken from the track up the hill.....
IMG_0600b.jpg

More of the roof timbers have gone in .....
IMG_0603b.jpg

And then I felt the first drops of rain for the day (not unusual in SW Scotland) so I dragged a large sheet of DPM over the whole thing - mainly to protect the floor - and called it a day. Hopefully more to come tomorrow.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0601b.jpg
    IMG_0601b.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 1,265
  • IMG_0600b.jpg
    IMG_0600b.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 1,265
  • IMG_0603b.jpg
    IMG_0603b.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 1,266
How did you secure the rafters