Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, Charley, CHJ, Noel

By DTR
So, for some inexplicable reason, I bought a Super Adept a few weekends ago....

We're not quite sure what we're going to use it for yet (Doris just thought it was cute!) but it could be useful for turning small bits. It's a shame the top / compound slide is missing, but not really a game-changer. Beneath the toolpost there is a threaded stud and bush. Both were turned on the wonk so I've already replaced both of those. The Adepts were never finished to a high standard, and I found that this one rocks because the bottom of the foot is a lumpy, unfinished casting. So I milled the bottom flat:

The next thing to overcome is the spindle. The supplied chuck isn't much good, but the spindle nose is threaded 3/8" BSF, which isn't in common use for lathe chucks. So I've made up a new spindle with an M14 x 1 nose on the end. Shaft turned between centres in the hope that it will be somewhere close to concentric:

Rotated end-for-end and turned down to 14mm for the nose:

Screwcut the M14 thread on the nose:

Milled a flat on the shaft for the driving pulley's grub screw:

And finally installed on the Adept:

By AES
QUOTE: So, for some inexplicable reason, I bought a Super Adept a few weekends ago.... UNQUOTE:

I can think of several explanations, no trouble at all DTR! :D

Once again, VERY nice work, thanks for posting.

AES
By DTR
More work on the Adept.....

The bearings on the headstock and countershaft could do with some oil caps. I lined up the existing oil holes using whatever drill bit fit:

Then drilled out and tapped M6. I used the pillar drill to keep the taper tap plumb:

Then finished off away from the drill. It felt a bit odd tapping a metric thread into pre-war British cast iron....

The oil caps don't sit flush due to the unfinished thread up by the shoulder....

.... so I drilled out the first mm or so of the thread to give a clearance. Now if only I'd ordered enough oil caps......+
By graduate_owner
Reading these posts makes me think I really MUST get back into the workshop. Get the decorating over wifh now, then a load of weeding and grass cutting, and perhaps I will be able to get turnng on my colchester. I have a thread adapter to make to allow me to use my chuck on 2 differently threaded headstocks ( graduate and viceroy). I haven't done much tbread work yet - should be a challenge.

K
By DTR
A bit of an update on the Super Adept.... Here it is mounted with the countershaft and motor on an oak plinth:

The plinth is a bit undersize because it was a random offcut I had knocking about. It does the job though. I still need to buy a chuck, and figure out what to do with the tailstock.

I appreciate that a sense of scale can be lost with online photos, so to demonstrate the truly industrial proportions of the Super Adept, here it is next to a fully-grown Essex Lion:

By DTR
So Doris has a "third hand" type stand for when her carvings involve soldering, similar to this one...

...but she found it a bit lacking. The latest project is to make a better engineered one:

And with the croc clips borrowed from the original stand, until I make some better arms:

By AES
Once again, a LOVELY bit of knurling on the thumb screw DTR - and all the rest looks very "pro" too. Nice.

AES
By woodpig
That knurling does look good. Good enough to make yourself a wood turning texturing tool I would have thought?!
By AES
And BTW DTR, I don't know what thread the mandrel/nose is on the Adept, but as you're looking for a chuck (s?), I can recommend Arc Euro Trade without hesitation - usual disclaimers. I bought a couple of bigger ones for my little Chinese lathe (3 & 4 jaw - backplate system, not threaded) and out of the box they were pretty accurate on run out (+/- 0.2 mm if I remember correctly) and at quite reasonable prices too I thought.

HTH

AES