Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, Noel, Charley, CHJ

By Dave Brookes
I mainly use a Record grinder with wide wheels and the Wolverine system.

Dave
By CHJ
+1 for pro Edge if you are starting from scratch and can afford the premium outlay, It's my regular user these days You don't have to buy all the accessories several are easily home made.

Having said it's my main user, I still have my original bench grinder alongside with in the main pre-set rests that are quicker to use for some tool touch-up jobs. Horses for courses and my grinders cost me a fraction of the cost of a Pro Edge even with replacement wheel upgrades.
By Honest John
+1 for the Proedge. I’ve used all the systems over the years. They all work. I’ve got a jet whetstone (Tormek copy) that I’ve had the longest, but I just couldn’t get on with water sloshing about in my workshop. The Proedge is the only one I would buy again if I had to re equip. It’s quick and simple to use and gives superb repeatable results. It’s not cheap, but to be honest it’s worth every penny!
By Arnold9801
I was about to create a new thread asking for advice on which sharpening set up and saw this thread!

I already have the tormek and am about to upgrade on my woodturning sharpening system. I was about the buy the jig to attach to the tormek for gouge sharpening and then decided to hang back and do a bit more research. I am wondering if it would be best to perhaps use the bench grinder option instead as my wear on the tormek grind wheel will increase and the cost of a replacement wheel will be quite expensive.

Scheppach do a bench grinder with a belt linisher as well, and then there is the Record bench grinder with a 40mm white wheel. I was thinking of the ruby stones rather than the white ones. What are the views and opinions of others?

Regards
By CHJ
Arnold9801 wrote:I was about to create a new thread asking for advice on which sharpening set up and saw this thread!

I already have the tormek and am about to upgrade on my woodturning sharpening system. I was about the buy the jig to attach to the tormek for gouge sharpening and then decided to hang back and do a bit more research. I am wondering if it would be best to perhaps use the bench grinder option instead as my wear on the tormek grind wheel will increase and the cost of a replacement wheel will be quite expensive.

Scheppach do a bench grinder with a belt linisher as well, and then there is the Record bench grinder with a 40mm white wheel. I was thinking of the ruby stones rather than the white ones. What are the views and opinions of others?

Regards

The Tormek gouge jigs work fine on a wide white wheel, I used one and home made equivalent, for 9-10 yrs or so they were my main sharpening go-to's. Still do for some of my tools.

The White stones are OK, the Ruby or Blue crystalline need a little more care and lighter touch as they tend to cut more aggressively so keep tool pressure low, rarely need dressing.
By CHJ
jim1950 wrote:I'm looking into the same thing, I've got the tormek and can't make my mind up tormek jigs for tuning tools of Pro edge. Help please.
Tormek Turning tool Jigs used on the Tormek soft wheels result in excessive Stone wear due to small contact area, does mean a lot of dressing if you also want to work on chisels and plane blades.

As a Tormek owner already you may find These thoughts I had about the Turning Jigs package for the Tormek which I did some years ago now.

The evolution of the ProEdge I see as confirmation of the limitations of the Tormek wet wheel system for Turning gouges.