Chuck Springs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhyolith

Established Member
Reaction score
Usually I just full stop avoid chucks with coiled springs in because they are nearly always bent or damaged I some way :?

However I have decided this is my best chance of getting a working hybrid breast/hand drill:

Goodell-Pratt No.5 1/2 by Rhyolith, on Flickr
Goodall Pratt 5 1.2 Chuck Springs by Rhyolith, on Flickr

and though it works, it could really do with a full set of new springs. Anyone know where I could get some from? (clicky pen springs are far to weak)

There are a few online suppliers of small springs, but most have a minimum order charge. I have found this company, who don't - http://www.ashfield-springs.com/stock-springs - so they may be worth a try.

You want compression springs, and you'll need to know the spring outside diameter, the diameter of wire from which it's made, and it's 'free' length, all easy enough with a Vernier caliper or similar. Something close should do, but try not to deviate too much from the existing spring dimensions.

Other possibilities are to buy a box of assorted springs from a motor factor or engineer's merchants, or hunt about among the model engineer's suppliers, some of whom do small stainless steel springs for model boiler safety valves.

Latest posts

Back