Best Reasonably priced Impact driver bits?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owsnap

Established Member
Reaction score
My box of 10 milwaukee shockwave impact driver bits is finished after just half a year non-constant use,
I'm not 100% sure that I would want to order another box of them as half of the bits had some manufacturing defects(weirdly shaped defective heads ) the rest which looked good also performed good,maybe just a bad batch..
either way after a new set of at least 10 , pz2 -50mm bits

What's the best out there at the moment that is reasonably priced? Not more than £1/each in a box let's say? I have seen some wera promos for their hi-end bits but at £5+ each I will feel too guilty when they get destroyed, so would rather not.
P.S I do not need just another box of impact driver bits, I need something better than the milwaukee ones so maybe anyone have tested few brands and can let us in on the secrets? :D

I had a box of Milwaukees not long ago. I thought they were dung too. After half a box I threw the rest away. I replaced them with DeWalt's Extreme Torsion Impact bits and they are much superior. No bad mouldings discovered yet and no snapped splines. The do get rounded off with incorrect pressure/insertion into screws, but they all do that. I'll definitely be buying them again next time.

I agree. I have two boxes of Milwaukee bits and originally thought they were good, but several have failed. I too would be interested in replacements that will stand up to serious use.

I've had good success with Wiha. They seem to stand up well to my fairly heavy DIY use (used every weekend at one of my sons or my house for the last year) The pack of 6 my son bought me still has 2 unused so I am very happy with them

James

I've not been impressed with my Wira diamonds, Milwalkee or Dewalt impact bits, they break far too regularly (I'm driving 100mm screws into stud work mostly). The Erbauer ones are cheap and last as long as the others so I have settled for them until something better comes along!

i have had the same experience, especially the milwalkee
i switched to torx screws and seem to be having more success with the bits

Steve

I bought a magnetic Wera Impact bit holder with 6 X PZ2 and 4 X PZ3 bits in 2008 when I got my Bosch impact driver.
They get used practically every working day and I have never had to buy any more.....!!

Admittedly, a few of them have rounded off a bit and been thrown away, but I'm still using the rest.

I can't imagine just how much they would need to be abused to manage to break one, coz I've never managed it in 8 years.......and I've certainly worked them hard.

Timely post. I've just purchased a set of Milwaukee bits from Toolstation and used them for the first time on Monday. They are garbage and i broke two in about 5 mins and half a dozen screws. They will be going back for a refund and i will get the Wera ones in their place.

I've tried both the dewalt 'extreme impact' bits and the Milwaukee bits mentioned above, I'm unimpressed with either. I haven't tried Dewalt's 'extreme torsion' bits mentioned above. I usually pre-drill hardwoods and that saves a lot of bits.

otter":2a542y0p said:
I had a box of Milwaukees not long ago. I thought they were dung too. After half a box I threw the rest away. I replaced them with DeWalt's Extreme Torsion Impact bits and they are much superior. No bad mouldings discovered yet and no snapped splines. The do get rounded off with incorrect pressure/insertion into screws, but they all do that. I'll definitely be buying them again next time.

these ones?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DEWALT-EXTREM ... SwBahVTcq9

not a fan of dewalt tools, but I have had some good experience with their consumables and all of them have been pretty good, so might as well try them. anyone else have tried them?

btw so what are the best impact drivers if we don't look at the pricetag?
If 10 impact bits would last me 8years like for Distinterior I wouldn't really care how much they cost either, but in reality I think that's not really possible..

I use the bits that come free with toolstations torxfast premium wood screw. Generally I lose the bit before breaking one

Coley

> 8 years life. When I used a Yankee screwdrivers(the big one) I don't remember having to buy new bits for it, ever. They didn't break or round over much. I think if you are regularly breaking reasonable quality PZ2 bits you are expecting too much of them! Rounding over I can accept with the power of modern drill/drivers. I don't want to say "abusing" but maybe that's what I'm getting at. [stands well back]

ColeyS1":xsv3hgue said:
I use the bits that come free with toolstations torxfast premium wood screw. Generally I lose the bit before breaking one

Coley

just looked at their multipack of screws
seems a good deal as a "starter pack" as i always seem to find a use for most sizes
whenever i want a screw, and go shopping, i tend to buy a selection anyhow
and still find I havent bought the size i really need lol

Steve

timbo614":2x4knoci said:
> 8 years life. When I used a Yankee screwdrivers(the big one) I don't remember having to buy new bits for it, ever. They didn't break or round over much. I think if you are regularly breaking reasonable quality PZ2 bits you are expecting too much of them! Rounding over I can accept with the power of modern drill/drivers. I don't want to say "abusing" but maybe that's what I'm getting at. [stands well back]

If you try using Yankee bits in a battery driver, you'll crack the "wings" off in a second. Damhikt. :D

owsnap":3nu3ud2f said:
otter":3nu3ud2f said:

these ones?

not a fan of dewalt tools, but I have had some good experience with their consumables and all of them have been pretty good, so might as well try them. anyone else have tried them?

Yeah, they're the ones, although I use the 25mm ones in a Wera adaptor
http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dt7052 ... f-25/2722f

timbo614":hmt7zdb9 said:

are you seriously comparing impact driver with a hand screwdriver? #-o

otter":k1z9z9n1 said:
owsnap":k1z9z9n1 said:
otter":k1z9z9n1 said:

these ones?

Seems like will give them a go as well than.. is your wera adaptor the fat bulky one? I'm doing a lot of pocketholes and that thing won't fit anywhere probably due to the large size of it. do wera even make some nice slim ones?

owsnap":xf0rro8w said:
otter":xf0rro8w said:
owsnap":xf0rro8w said:
these ones?

Seems like will give them a go as well than.. is your wera adaptor the fat bulky one? I'm doing a lot of pocketholes and that thing won't fit anywhere probably due to the large size of it. do wera even make some nice slim ones?

To be fair, yes. The Rapidaptor. What are you going into to snap bits when screwing pocket joints together? Non-piloted steel?? :? :lol:

Latest posts

Back