Beech bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I managed to get a beech bowl completed today, I finished the turning yesterday morning and applied the sander sealer then put it to one side as I was waiting for the chestnut polishing system to arrive.
It arrived today great service only posted yesterday. Managed to get and have a play and very happy with the results.

C & C welcome

DSCF3226_zps5111f285.jpg

DSCF3227_zps23869ae1.jpg

Nice. What did you stain the rim with? Not sure that it's beech though...did you mean birch?

Ahh. I already have some of those ( different make ) that my son brought for buffing up stainless steel. Wonder if the compounds are the same.....

Grahamshed":frybnwvu said:
Ahh. I already have some of those ( different make ) that my son brought for buffing up stainless steel. Wonder if the compounds are the same.....

I doubt the compounds are the same and if the mops have already been used for metal then they risk contaminating the wood unless washed thoroughly.

Are the mops you have stitched or loose leaf? you need loose leaf for wood polishing as you need the fabric to flow around the piece as opposed to providing maximum ridged abrasion.

Nice proportions on the bowl, try undercutting the inner rim another time, adds an interesting shadow and even a little undercut gives the impression of a much thinner wall.

Go along with Woodmonkey on the suggestion that it's more likely to be Birch than Beech, all the more respect for lack of tool and sanding marks on such.

Really nice Dal, I like the proportions and general shape. I struggle to get shallow shaped bowls, mine usually end up like overly tall soup bowls!

Tony

Grahamshed":jnw2lavw said:
I will have to have a look in the morning, from memory they are stitched.
One of the things that is not obvious and is not realised by someone new to buffing is that regardless of the Brand, the Three Mop Systems rely as much upon the fabric used in the Three Mops as the abrasive used.

The mops need to be matched in robustness to the abrasive to get maximum efficiency of cutting and wear rate, they are not all the same fabric density. Something that is not made obvious from some sources selling individual mops.

Chas, your link above (Have a read of this, (best printed double sided on A4)) just comes back to this thread, is that what you intended?

KimG":1tej919p said:
Chas, your link above (Have a read of this, (best printed double sided on A4)) just comes back to this thread, is that what you intended?
Thanks Kim for the proof reading and spotting that, teach me to make sure I check my links before posting, forgot what was in the paste buffer.

Latest posts

Back