Axminster TS200 Table Saw - A cautionary tale

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayWGee

Reaction score
Good afternoon to all the members. This is my first post here so please be gentle. I have a ten year old Triton Workcentre which has served me well and we have produced many items of furniture and a new kitchen, however wear and tear on the saw and frame has meant that it is taking a lot of time to adjust/set up, in fact I spend more time on trial cuts than workpieces now so I decided to replace. I took delivery of the Axi TS200 on Wednesday having read the useful and knowledgeable comments on the forum concerning this and its competitors in the budget table saw league. Instructions were next to useless as has been observed by others, no washers for the M6 bolts but I managed to find sufficient in the the toolbox. After several hours I had the thing already to go and put the mitre gauge into its channel with a piece of 50mm sqaure oak for a test cut. Oh s**t!!! , the channel is not is not deep enough for the track, so the mitre gauge sits proud and rocks from side to side. Tried the other channel, this was worse. Tried the sliding carriage channel - this was ok. Measured the depths - 6.6mm on the carriage, 5.4/5.5 on the table. So I phoned Axminster in extreme grumpy mode and they offered to replace, but I more or less told them to stick it where the monkey sticks his nuts. So it is going back for a refund and I have decided to buy the Metabo TS 250 from Screwfix and fit a sliding sled with maybe an incra fence.
Not able to comment on the Axi as I never got to cut with it. Saw seemed very solid and blade rise and fall and tilt seemed to work well. Suspect that the sliding carraige mounting would need to be beefed up as it looks like it could go out of adjustment very easily.
Anyway to anyone out there who buys the the Axi TS200, CHECK that the mitre gauge runs properly before you waste time assembling the thing. Now I have to figure out how the hell to fit all those bits back in the boxes.

Yes - very disappointing, maybe not representative of the overall machine as many previous comments indicate that there is a good saw at the heart of this machine, I was probably just unlucky - but, from earlier posts, the extension table is obviously not up to the task and I am dubious of the sliding carriage as slight pressure on the outside of it caused the aluminium support to flex and hence move any workpiece upwards at the saw blade. We must remember that these machines are built to a price and this costs less than half that of the machine which it was cloned from. Experienced craftsmen will always be able to devise ways of working round these problems, but, for the average amateur I suspect that it is not such a bargain as it seems.
In answer to your question - the mitre gauge protractor is made of an alloy. The two (roughly) machined surfaces are not at an exact right angle to each other, not that this really matters but is an indication of the lack of precision in manufacture. I am not knocking this machine because I haven't used it, but potential buyers should be aware that they are not getting a Kity.

I am sad and surprised to hear of your experience, for my part ALL machinery and hand tools need "FETTLING" regardless of the cost or quality, obviously your Axi ts200 was WELL beyond fettling and you were right to return it, and Axi are a good enough supplier to honour that agreement, and that's to be applauded, however, mine has been ok since day one and is still going strong albeit the blade has been replaced twice, but I for one have no complaints other than the marks made by the fence clamp.

Rich.

I must admit that my findings agree with Rich. Even if they did what the box said improvements could be made I have always found.
But that's half the fun, for me at least.

Roy.

The strength and action of the sliding table doesn't need to beefed up IMO. After all it's only an 8" blade, and you only be cutting 2" stock. I've ran some heavy large sheets through this and the sliding extension is perfect, it takes a little fettling to get it perfect, but this is not difficult to do.

My mitre gauge is rather pants though and I rarely use it, it's a shame you didn't want to give another model a chance, but I can sympathize with that. I hope you are happy with your new saw, let us know your thoughts on it when you get it setup.

Thanks for the comments guys. I think that I was probably a bit hasty in rejecting a replacement TS200 as, from your collective experiences, it is obviously capable of good performance . I was just so cross, both with myself for not checking the mitre channel before spending a lot of time setting everything up, and with the supplier for sending something which was not up to standard. No complaints at all about Axminster though, they were totally reasonable and helpful and couldn't have done more to resolve the problem.
Unfortunately now once that I have a serious doubt about a piece of equipment I want to get shot of it. Something which I didn't do with that flawed masterpiece the little WoodRat, which I have got to grips with to an extent, but maybe my experience with this has made me over cautious.
I only posted to advise people to make the simple check first to save them hassle.
I will report on the Metabo at a later date

ByronBlack":37bnqu7v said:
The strength and action of the sliding table doesn't need to beefed up IMO. After all it's only an 8" blade, and you only be cutting 2" stock. I've ran some heavy large sheets through this and the sliding extension is perfect, it takes a little fettling to get it perfect, but this is not difficult to do.

My mitre gauge is rather pants though and I rarely use it, it's a shame you didn't want to give another model a chance, but I can sympathize with that. I hope you are happy with your new saw, let us know your thoughts on it when you get it setup.

Strangely enough, I have not used the mitre guage ONCE, I prefer other means to cut mitres, thats not to say it's no good, it's just that I feel happier with a home made jig for mitre cutting.

Rich.

Hi all,

So, after much thought, and taking into account various reviews here (and my limited budget) I decided to buy the TS200 from Axminster.

First I noticed that the corners on one of the entrances to the mitre slots had been knocked off on both sides, I figured that if this was the only thing wrong then I could live with it no problem as it is only cosmetic.

As advised by the creator of this thread, the very first thing I did was to try the mitre gauge in the slot (after i'd removed the bow and twist) and all seemed fine, phew....
After many happy hours yesterday putting it all together and shimming up, using just about all the spare screws and washers I have in my garage, I was ready to go :)
I cut a piece of timber using the sliding carriage and I was pleased to find that the cut was bang on 90 degrees and the blade was up square :D

I then took the mitre gauge and pushed it through the slot and to my amazement it was standing proud of the table by nearly 1mm!!! :shock:
Wondering if I had been dreaming when I tried it the first time, I tried the other slot.... exactly the same!! :shock: :shock:

What had happened when I removed the saw from the box and tried the gauge, I only inserted it from one side of the table which was the rear, and all was well (this was the nearest side to me at the time). What I didn't do was take an extra 3 seconds to run it up and down the full length of the table :x
I have e-mailed Axminster explaining the problem to see what my options are, ideally all I need to do is replace the table top. This would then save me a ton of time in dismantling and packaging.
I feel a huge plonker, specifically as I had read this post and made sure it was the first thing I checked :oops:

Oh well at least I won't be so stupid next time...or maybe I will :roll:

Steve

Makes me think I ought to check mine- I bought a TS200 last week (after reading many recomendations on here)and limited budget as well and spent ages assembling it ,as like everyone has said the instructions are usuless.I finally put the rise and tilt handles on and found the the blade would only go up so far and then tilt and the action was very stiff.The blade was also trapped under the insert (so I hope it hasnt distorted it )

So I took all the gubbins off and turned the saw upside down only to find that the cross piece (11 in parts list thingy was far too short, its 80mm and the slots it sits in are about 78mm so you would only end up with a nats sticking out if it actually fitted !! ,also the thicker part is really much shorter whereas I would expect it should almost touch the sides to stop any play .

Spent a while messing around then realised it was the wrong piece fitted. So rang axi who were great and said they would get someone from technical to ring (so waited all of Friday afternoon and heard nothing) ..so rang them this morning and they are sending out a replacment piece to see if I can fit it myself(looks a fairly easy job)..

I think I'll check the mitre slots before I get much further as I must admit I only slid the gauge loosely into one of them !

Slot in the cross slide is perfect, but for some reason the two main table slots are completely different. :-s

My advice would be make a crosscut sled. I have a big Fox tablesaw which is fine and the mitre guage is perfect, but with a sled there is no need for setting up and checking, once you have made it that's job done and you know your crosscuts will be perfect every time.

Just my opinion, hope it helps. :D

I agree it's an option Mark, but just like you, i'd prefer to build a sled because I want one, not because I need to rectify the manufacturers mistake.
Anyway, I spoke the the nice man at Axi again today and he said that a new table had just landed on his desk and he will post it out to me.
He said this one has been checked over, so fingers crossed. [-o<

I suppose it will take me most of Saturday(assuming it arrives in time) to remove all the gubbins from the old one into the new one :lol:

Must remember: check the mitre slots first before wasting another day. #-o

+steve+":3bqj4qxx said:
I agree it's an option Mark, but just like you, i'd prefer to build a sled because I want one, not because I need to rectify the manufacturers mistake.
Absolutely agree. Bet you end up making one soon anyway ;)

+steve+":3bqj4qxx said:
I suppose it will take me most of Saturday(assuming it arrives in time) to remove all the gubbins from the old one into the new one :lol:

Must remember: check the mitre slots first before wasting another day. #-o
What do you mean 'remove all the gubbins', my table just bolts on from the top, as I thought they all did. Do you need to actually take the motor etc out just to put a new top on? Seems a bit of bad design if that's the case...

unfortunately the motor is bolted to the underside of the table which means everything has to come out.
I was also a bit surprised at this.
I assume, in this price bracket, the table top is the sturdiest part they could mount the motor to.

My spare part arrived today but sadly as I suspected the riser part had been drilled and welded badly at manufactuer so had to take it all apart again and repackage my TS200 back up today ready for collection. Funny how I couldnt remember how it all went back in the box :lol: took me ages .Hopeing its replacement is fine out of the box, will make a point of checking mitre slots,although mine were perfect on the one going back !

Have to say though thumbs up to Axminster -they have been great !

Quite right Fergus, Axi have been very helpful so far.
Although if my new table arrives and is no better, the lot will be going back for a refund as I see no other way around the problem.

I keep looking at the empty boxes thinking "There is now way i'm going to get it all back in there!" :-k

New table arrived yesterday after a bit of a mix-up with the delivery address, as there was no one in the courier left it buy the garage even though Axi said they would not leave the parcel without a signature!

All mitre slots ok \:D/ , biggest hastle was removing the old table then fitting the new one. Not something id reccomend doing one your own as it took me ages because I impatient and wanted to get it up and running.

Getting the blade to run parallel to the mitre slots was a huge problem.
Keeping the blade still while tightening the mounting blocks under the table was virtually impossible as every time pressure was exerted on the bolts, the whole unit would try to move back to it's original position.

Anyway, all done now and very pleased with it, very happy with the speed and service I received from ax they couldn't have done more to help. :eek:ccasion5:

Glad to hear you are all sorted Steve.

My new replacement Ts200 arrived on thursday ,so I put it together yesterday-much quicker than the first one. Mitre slots seem fine and although the blade height adjustment cross piece is still imo far too short for the slot it sits in ,at least this one works and doesnt fall out all the time.

The top on this one has been ground in a few spots but definatly has slightly less bow than the first one :D

Made a couple of test cuts and it seemed ok..so will set it up properly once I have cleared a proper space for it.

Again another thumbs up to Axminster who have been great 8)

Back