Axminster SK114 variant question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woodpig. Yes there are. Steinert make one for the vb36 and probably other lathes too with a backplate. A snip at 499 euros!!

Thread is quite old - but to bring it up to date:

For variants for M33 x 3.5 spindles, there are currently at least three chucks available:

1. SK100 T38 chuck has an additional collar for sanding in reverse
2. SK114 T38 chuck has no additional collar for sanding in reverse
3. SK114 T38R chuck has an additional collar for sanding in reverse

SK100 T38 chuck should really have been called SK100 T38R as it offers reverse sanding.

SK114 T38 chuck doesn't have the collar, so it's more compact and for reverse turning there are two backward facing grub screws.

SK114 T38R has two grub screws on a collar that hold (perpendicular) to the spindle just behind the thread for reverse sanding and for reverse turning there are two backward facing grub screws. This could simply have been called T38 and been the only SK114 variant. It costs £20 more than T38.

NB reverse turning requires careful drilling into the spindle and access is very restrictive!

Simon_M":33tk4wdq said:
Thread is quite old - but to bring it up to date:

For variants for M33 x 3.5 spindles, there are currently at least three chucks available:

1. SK100 T38 chuck has an additional collet for sanding in reverse
2. SK114 T38 chuck has no additional collet for sanding in reverse
3. SK114 T38R chuck has an additional collet for sanding in reverse

- Snip rest of quote.
As far as I'm aware none of the above chucks uses a collet.
Do you perhaps mean collar?

Simon_M":1d7h01x4 said:
My biggest problem with chucks is trying to get them off afterwards. My SK100 had a special tool so that I don't reach for the chuck key. The SK114 doesn't have the same tool and I may try a jam jar removal tool rather than being tempted to reach for the chuck key.

I often switch between an SK114 (which I love) and a RP SC3 (which does a job) by putting an allen key in the rear of the spindle and using the chuck key to turn the chuck toward me so it unscrews. Is that bad practice? If so, what should I be doing? Thanks.

On the website it says "One important lesson for woodturners to learn is not to use the chuck key for removing the chuck from the headstock". The chuck removal spanner doesn’t fit the SK114, so one option is to use a Boa wrench. I've asked if it also OK to use the chuck key with SK114.

Thanks for pointing that out Simon - I'd completely missed the advice. Boa wrench now on order. You may well have saved me a lot of money - I've only had it about 6 months so hopefully not too much damage done.

Unfortunately my lathe won't reverse, so no chance to try that.

Back