A few chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been handed 3 chisels I was wondering if there is any information of them and wither they are worth doing anything with as all 3 need handles if nothing else.

The top one has H. York stamped I think it is an H. it's not too clear. The middle one had Hale Bros. Sheffield (1") and the bottom one had Alfred Ridge & Sons Sheffield (1 1/4").
IMG_0639.JPG

If nothing else it would give me a chance to turn some handles but like most I do not have enough hours in the day I would love to know how worth while they they are so I can fit them into my wish list.

Attachments

• IMG_0639.JPG
    IMG_0639.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,229
Rubbish basically, though the bottom one was once a quite nice but much longer paring chisel.
Nothing to stop you using them though. Sharpen up, new handles if you want etc.

The square section of the top of the tang indicates they were hand forged, which is considered by many to be desirable. But chisels from any maker can vary so get enough rust off for you to be able to sharpen them properly and see how they perform.

You can make new handles later if they're any good.

Hard to be sure from the pic, Steven, but the top one looks like it might be a gouge? None of them strike me as remarkable, but should be perfectly good users. Interesting approach to "improving" the handles by a previous owner there; not seen that before. Would be quite happy to never see it again, mind you! ;)

I've just gone out to the garage and checked my chisels. I've got a 1" firmer chisel made by Ridge & Sons which has to be the same maker as the bottom one in your pic.

My Ridge chisel had the most convex back I've ever seen - proof that being handmade does not guarantee precision every time. It took me ages to flatten the back (and I'm not a flatness fanatic) but now it's one of my favourites. It's a chisel that stands up to being used on bad stuff like MDF and chipboard.

So at least one of your chisels might be worth some effort.

The top one is a gouge, and all 3 have square section on the tangs. If there is nothing special I will put them on my to do list. When I can it will give me 3 tasks in 1, turning handles, restoring the steel and some sharping practice.

That is brilliant it looks like a tennis racket grip. I could see that catching on. You could have a nice soft grip in different colours. No more blisters when hand morticing etc. No sweat when working away.
It would be best with towelling wristbands and head bands logoed up. Surely Veritas and LN have missed an opportunity here. :lol:
Owen

I can guarantee they are none slip, saw draft and about 2 coats of gloss paint and never seen a sign of sand paper. Nice and jaggy.

Back