Yup... Another wood identification!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creampuff

Established Member
Reaction score
Why hello there my fine friends

A friend of mine has aquired a fair few pieces of some wood he has been told is Teak, but I'm not entirely sure.

So I'm hoping you wonderful learned peeps may be able to settle this little argument

Heres a few pics of the wood in question
http://img140.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img008x.jpg

It may also be for sale once i can find out what it is, and how much he has available.

Anyway thanks for the help :wink:

Andy

img009e.jpg

That looks like Bocote to me

Left one looks like wenge, others maybe zebrano depending on how its cut

Jason

jasonB":17mpm9vg said:
Left one looks like wenge, others maybe zebrano depending on how its cut

Jason

There all the same stuff, but its interesting you say Zebrano, as thats what i first thought, But then I took a look at http://www.sykestimber.co.uk/timber/images/wenge.jpg

And its almost identical, so now I'm inclined to say its Wedge...

If it helps any, It realy didnt like going through my thicknesser, with the blades just touching the surface, I thought it was gonna shear the blades off with the noise it was making :shock:

It certainly looks like wenge to me, so be careful.

The splinters from that stuff are evil! I've had a few bad ones which have been extremely painful, and Simon Oryxdesign had one which went septic and put him in hospital.

Cheers
Brad

BradNaylor":3ra7o2ma said:
It certainly looks like wenge to me, so be careful.

The splinters from that stuff are evil! I've had a few bad ones which have been extremely painful, and Simon Oryxdesign had one which went septic and put him in hospital.

Cheers
Brad
Agree with Brad...evil, nasty stuff :evil: - Rob

Looks like wenge to me too. Interestingly I found I got more splinters from the veneered board I had than from the solid, still makes me shudder though. I'm not in a hurry to do another wenge job though (it's poorly managed you know)

Is it odd that I really want to work with some Wenge? :shock: 8)

ab fab Bob! They've just started this scheme call the 'Apprentice'. It's so cringe worthy!

So are they getting Alan Sugar in to say 'you're fired' ?

One thing that has been pi88ing me off in the last year or so is the imposition of corporate process on parts of the business where it is just not appropriate.
It took 9 months to recruit my replacement mainly because we had to go through corporate HR (Human Remains!).

Good Luck

Bob

I'd go with Wenge.

Never worked it myself. From what I hear that's no bad thing!!

I don't think I've ever heard a timber prononced in so many different ways though
0002014F.gif

Wenj......
Vengi......
Wenji......

How do you do it?????

Richard

Thanks for all the replies chaps.

This used to be a kitchen worktop made up of various differant sizes, all of which are 45mm thick, I would make a guess that the total size would be in the region of 600mm deep, and nearly 3 metres in length. All in all there are 13 peices that make up the worktop in an L shape.

not a bad deal for £30 and an old front door...

Again thanks for the help :wink:

Back