Wood identification! Sorry.. looks like another...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodywally

Reaction score
Hi guys and girls,

I'm not new to woodworking, almost the complete opposite. This is exactly why I can't understand what exactly I've bought!

I've been searching for a specific sized Oak beam/post/oversized blank, airdried naturally preferred and then I'd stick it in the kiln to correct any localised spots of moisture.

So I found what I was looking for in a reclamation yard. It measures 1830mm x 455mm x 455mm. A BEAST!

I went down to collect it from the yard. Looks far bigger in person. No surprises that there was no way even 3 very large yard workers could get it off the ground, let alone in the back of a truck. Fork lifted on. The wood looked in great condition. Small amounts of damage I can assume was made when whatever it was connected too was eventually torn down. It also featured a large forged on iron collar at the top. It looks like it could have been a post to support a windmill.

The issue was when I took it to the milling guy I use when things are too big for me to break down. He looked at it, and immediately said "are you sure this is Oak?" I said, yeah, I'm pretty sure. 'Now starting to doubt my own sanity, and his.

He got his plane out and shaved the silvered exterior and took a step back. At that point I was worried that I've been ripped off, how embarrassing.

He then said... "I've worked woth wood for the last 43 years, and that just doesn't look like any Oak we have around today. It looks like very straight grain Burmese Teak"

Pictures will follow. Apologies, it doesn't really show much as I didn't have much time before I had to leave hom with the lump.
Let me know what you guys think...

I do know what he means now as its got very little cracking for Oak 'obviously not impossible', and it's also got a strange grain to it'. Not really what you find typically. I've worked with Oak all of my life, and it's just different...
20230329_140816.jpg
20230329_140806.jpg
20230329_140759.jpg

Yeah... its pretty conclusive with the sea defence pictures!! Awesome work... I just took them at their word. Damn... rookie error. Looks like I'll be getting my money back. I know little about greenheart, well, actually nothing at all. What would this be worth if I were buying it? I mean I know how much I bought it for... but just wondering what it's worth as greenheart. Thanks all

not teak, I'm working with some at the moment, it looks nothing like that and it'd be very rare to get it in those sizes.

I've been offered greenheart at £5000 per m3 which is probably the cheap end . That would be for sawn to size though.

As I live on the South Coast, when I saw that photo, I imediately thought groyne. The question I have is why does it have to be oak? Also why would you want to put a massive beam like that in a kiln, even if the idea is to split it into smaller pieces?

I initial thought was well weathered beech but the application is wrong would have to be an oily wood in water normally, so Teak. Not sure what the effects of salt water would have on teak maybe bleached it. You'd need to cut an end off. Mental but of wood that.

Back