Your Favourite Tape Measure(s)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I measured several from the inside face of the hook to the 100 mm mark with a rule and and there is nearly always a 1.2 mm difference so with the hook glued in place 100 mm on the tape is 100mm on the ruler. I get it if your pushing the hook against a surface and measuring that it makes no difference but if your start point is the edge of a board then you naturally pull against the hook and it’s loose then it’s no longer accurate imo of course. I prefer a steel rule for accuracy then there is less room for error.
The 1.2mm is likely the thickness of the metal on the hook. The hook needs to move so the tape is correct on both push and pull. If you glue it then it will only ever be accurate on push OR pull and not both, depending on which of the two positions you glued it in 🙂
Martin

I don't but it's class 1 so is more accurate than class II, most measures are class II, custard on here a few years ago recommended class I tape measures and I've never been disappointed
Ah 👍
Personally, as long as a tape is consistent I don't think it matters to me if it's accurate as I always use the same tape so the error cancels out. I suppose it's more like a story stick in that regard 😀
I'm trying to think of a time when I would need absolute (as opposed to relative) accuracy - can't actually think of one right now but I'm sure there will be times when that accuracy is required. For that reason it might be worth me having a class 1 tape on hand.

Martin

I use an Axminster vice-versa, metric only, so it reads either way, and is printed on both sides, I find it much more convenient.
I switched to vice versa a while back, there are two things that are game changers for me:
  1. Metric only, gets rid of the visual clutter, tape is SOOO much clearer and faster to read (this feature is not unique to vice versa)
  2. Printed scale along both edges
I don't find it being printed on both sides very useful, maybe 1 in 100 times that's handy, but having it on both edges is massively useful

They have quite a good size hook also, bigger than a standard Stanley for example, so that's also quite handy for my type of work.

Martin

I use Advent 5m tapes, normally cost under a fiver but last a reasonable amount of time, I normally lose them before they break.

A couple of run-of-the-mill Stanleys and a Hultafors (the one with the tab that unfolds to get more accurate internal measurements) - and I've known to use an old-skool boxwood folding ruler from time to time

I personally use the French made Stanley Powerlocks. They cover all the bases of a tape measure. Tru-zero hook end with 3 rivets for accuracy and strength, a decent belt clip, a nail hook for solo events always gets used, the Mylar coating lasts an age on them I have one I use a lot that’s up 15 years old and it’s as clear as a bell, they have a dry wipe box on the face to jot down measurements on the fly, they feel really good in the hand and are well made, i have yet to bust one in my 15 years in the trade.
They made both metric only and imperial/metric, what you use comes down to preference and what game your in, I use imperial as much as I do metric so always have the dual blade.
The new ones that are made who knows where are just not the same so the downside is you have to scour eBay and wait for one to come up.
5M/16ft is my go to for standard joinery, I have 7.5 and 10 that get used as and when.

I have various tapes dotted about the place and I think they are all Stanley. My go to tape is a thin 3M which came bundled with a Stanley Powerlock. It's small enough for any pocket without being bulky. The first thing I do with all my tape measures is take the clip off and keep them on the workbench or in a pocket. I've never lost one. But then I don't do much work outside of the workshop and wear an pre-loaded apron or turners smock most of the time so they are permanently kept in pockets. Just counted them. I've got eight - all Stanley.

I got a festool tape measure included with my track saw, and hardly looked at it when it came, but it's now become my go to, double sided, metric only, and really smooth to use.

I measured several from the inside face of the hook to the 100 mm mark with a rule and and there is nearly always a 1.2 mm difference so with the hook glued in place 100 mm on the tape is 100mm on the ruler. I get it if your pushing the hook against a surface and measuring that it makes no difference but if your start point is the edge of a board then you naturally pull against the hook and it’s loose then it’s no longer accurate imo of course. I prefer a steel rule for accuracy then there is less room for error.
At the risk of stating the obvious, surely it is deliberately made loose, to account for inside and outside measuring?.............So depending on which part of the slide the end tab is fixed at when you glue it, it will be inaccurate for either the internal or external measurement. Or am I missing something here?

At the risk of stating the obvious, surely it is deliberately made loose, to account for inside and outside measuring?.............So depending on which part of the slide the end tab is fixed at when you glue it, it will be inaccurate for either the internal or external measurement. Or am I missing something here?
Maybe you and molynoox are correct because thinking about it 9 times out of ten I’m measuring from an outside edge of a board or length of timber so with that in mind I’ll check the dimensions of a known length with my glued tape and one that isn’t. Happy to share results and eat a fat slice of humble pie if I’m wrong 😑

If the readings of length vary when the tape is used hooked over an edge, or butted against an inner corner surface. The variation can be altered, corrected, by changing the hook. The inner corner measurement is the basic tape reading, altering the angle of the tab will take into account the slide in the hook and can be tweaked to give the same reading. If proof is needed try checking after dropping the tape on the floor, landing on the hook. No don't do that it is meant as jest.
HTH, geoff

Back