Your Cars

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most fun: probably my great uncle's 1979 Mk1 Ford Fiesta. Had less than 8000 miles on it when he passed away about 20 years ago. 950cc of underpowered four pot, and suspension so bad that the car would do a little sideways hop if you exited a corner having gone in too fast. I don't remember the brakes. It probably didn't have any.

Most likely to kill me: a 600cc Honda Hornet

Best: a 3 Series Diesel Touring... that's been tickled by some nice Austrian gentlemen to kick out 500lbft of rear tyre destroying goodness - but is visually so dull it doesn't attract unwanted attention.

Rx7 - Can`t beat a screaming rotary engine and pop up headlights, superb handling, no power steering, I miss it.

Toyota Hilux pickup MK3 (bright yellow) - A great vehicle for general tooling around and carrying random stuff. Indistructible too, probably why it was stolen. I suspect some African warlords are having a lovely time with it by now.

Nissan Elgrand - Its a big bus, but at least its a 3.5 litre v6 luxury bus. Nothing better for ferrying the kids about in. Sliding doors are great in car parks too.

Must add Lexus GS430, not mine but what an amazing car that is.

Ollie

Last edited:
Best car I ever owned was a 2002 Vauxhall Astra estate 1.7 diesel, owned from nearly new. Had hoped to get 10 years, but ended up with 17 years of pretty reliable service out of it - 55mpg, economical servicing and repairs once I'd kicked the main dealers into the long grass; pretty much bother-free motoring - it just kept chugging along. I'd be running it yet if bodywork corrosion around the suspension mounts hadn't caught up with it. I miss it's relative simplicity, too. Why do cars need computer controls, for Gawd's sake?

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/7c85ea466bc6d9a232527e91a49921ae31f79b4d/0_18_2000_1200/master/2000.jpg?width=1200&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=a93654d5989a32494f9fc2a4ff571f0f

1983 Raleigh Burner Mk1.
Eat ma dust bitches!
Took the pads off to make it lighter and waaaaay cooler obs.

Stock photo obviously ... it was 1983 FFS! Photos cost money then.

But actually this a modern anniversary model reproduced from old unused parts by the original factory.
Guess how much this repro of my childhood need for speed will set you back in today's money.
Then click here.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/1937535090...3NLe5pKZijVuHt7pIGeoYitJa4uu_VdxoC3PQQAvD_BwE
Imagine how many copies of BMX Bandits on VHS that would net you.

My current model is a Porsche Boxster S which I've had for 10 years and still only 60 K on the clock. Frighteningly fast and a dream to handle. My second car which I owned aged 20 was a Lotus Elan S4 and amazingly still on the road (has doctor bob got it?)

For me it's a coin toss between my old Alfa GTAm and my old VR4 estate. Man I used to love surprising and owning porsche boxter drivers and boy racers in that. Such a pity it got a gentle tap on the buttocks-end by a 1 ton L/R and ended up 2 feet shorter.

I love my sensible family estate, hard to think of anything I'd rather drive (within reason price-wise).

Legnum or Galant VR4 Droogs?

Edit, missed the mention of estate, so Legnum then. Some VR4 heritage ran on into mine.

wagon2.jpg

Last edited:
https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/7c85ea466bc6d9a232527e91a49921ae31f79b4d/0_18_2000_1200/master/2000.jpg?width=1200&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=a93654d5989a32494f9fc2a4ff571f0f

1983 Raleigh Burner Mk1.
Eat ma dust bitches!
Took the pads off to make it lighter and waaaaay cooler obs.

Stock photo obviously ... it was 1983 FFS! Photos cost money then.

But actually this a modern anniversary model reproduced from old unused parts by the original factory.
Guess how much this repro of my childhood need for speed will set you back in today's money.
Then click here.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/1937535090...3NLe5pKZijVuHt7pIGeoYitJa4uu_VdxoC3PQQAvD_BwE
Imagine how many copies of BMX Bandits on VHS that would net you.

Pretty Rad !

I had the white one with the black mag wheels. It was awesome till I snapped the frame.

Ollie

Ones I have sold: mgb roadster with a race engine, couple of Jag xjs, but esp. one - facelift, manual 4.0 litre in BRG

current: z3 for top down sunny days

e39 m5 - probably the best car I will ever own, 40,000 miles in it without issue...
2D967A87-2F09-4541-9453-26871F141BF3.jpeg

and classic RR - soft dash LSE with a bespoke c. 5.0 litre-ish engine
02840325-FEEC-4B27-954C-875A1F5C32BB.jpeg

SAAB 900i 3 door.
A real engineers car. Comfort, handling and technology all great for its day.
Put 165k miles on that one before it became uneconomic to maintain.

The current Mazda 2 sedan averaging a real 18.2 kpl or 43 mpg in every day driving
1D29EC43-9D3D-4581-9EF4-7B7926BD35FB.jpeg
The colour is what was available at the dealership In the trim we wanted.
then off for the required blessing
527C3256-65D0-498C-9BDA-75AC9C1F5442.jpeg
38F60079-2220-4D07-97E4-B0B119937C18.jpeg
FWIW the red number plates are temporary plates that you get with a new car (if you pay the deposit) they are with you until the dealer pays the government tax then you get the permanent plates, our plates took about 3 months to arrive.

Last edited:
A bit like sideways, my fave was a saab 900i, 4 door, auto. Soooooooo comfortable. 21mpg, I always remember it cornered like a barge, and build quality was unimpeachable. Sideways, did you have the Aero version?

Fave fun vehicle was my 1969 LR series 2 88inch. Go anywhere, 18mpg on a run.
No heater, canvas tilt, fix anything on it with a hammer and a cable tie. Not at all comfortable.

My current model is a Porsche Boxster S which I've had for 10 years and still only 60 K on the clock.
Nice car. My wife was considering buying a Boxter new in 2003 or 2004 but the dealer would not let her take one for a test drive. Instead she bought a new BMW 325 cabriolet, which she still has.

The previous new car she bought, in 1988, was a Lancia Delta Integrale, a 2-litre turbo 4WD rocket. That was a fantastic car, great fun. We kept it until 2005 when someone rear-ended it.

I was just thinking a couple of days ago that the BMW is now as old as the Lancia was when it was written off. The BMW has done 450 000 km which is a little more than the Lancia did, but the BMW has been much cheaper to run and has needed no bodywork attention, in stark contrast to the Lancia. The Lancia was MUCH more fun though which more than made up for that.

Of my own cars the ones I remember most fondly are a couple of Triumph GT6 Mk IIIs, a Jaguar XJ6 and a Jaguar XJ12, but those were a long time ago. Nowadays I have more sensible (AKA boring) cars.

When I was in the R.A.F. I was unlucky enough to have to spend 2 1/2 years in Singapore, late 1966 to mid 69 and being a lowly corporal I couldn't afford a new car so I had this

MGTC 1A.jpg

MGTC 2A.jpg

1946 MGTC. I never managed to find out but there was something quite special about that car with its 10" alloy finned breaks, the block had been skimmed to raise the compression and the stuff under the bonnet was a lot more special to look at the the run of the mill car with all aluminium fittings
MGTC 3.jpg

I wept when I had to sell it before I was posted back to Brize Norton. I just didn't have £100 to ship it back

I nearly forgot to say that if you believe that I was unlucky with that posting :devilish::devilish::devilish:

Latest posts

Back