Yew

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwlossie

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been given a Yew log, 3ft x 8"
Problem is it is already cracked. Reading 36% on moisture meter.
Is there any reason why this should not be used? Wood, after all, does crack. MUST it be in pristine condition?

yew27vb.jpg
[/img]

yew14zw.jpg
[/img]

Barry.

Hi Barry,

Yew, once 'settled' doesn't usually present problems but I suspect you may see a little warping...

Just a word of caution though.... Yew often contains occluded bark and micro cracks not discernable with the naked eye. Once under pressure from a cut these faults can cause a bowl (or other artefact) to disintegrate... I know from bitter experience :wink:

Beautiful wood but don't you wish it was all purple :wink:

Hello Graham,

Yes it has a marvelous grain.

There are a few minute cracks running across it. I tried cutting a piece along the grain but that really did rebel.

Just out of interest, I quite like the idea of denatured alcohol/meths drying. Is there anyone near us who sells it or is it on a "restricted" list?

Barry.

Barry, If the pieces have lots of cracks then try applying low viscosity CA glue to them as you near finished size, this will stop it opening up and will fill some of the finer ones.

Any big ones fill with fine dark sawdust or Coffee Grounds and CA glue.

And a tip that Graham passed to me early on, If it is at all doubtful clamp it on a spigot not in a recess to avoid it opening up.

Hi Chas,
Thanks for the reply.
Do you have a brand name for "low viscosity CA" I have been looking round for superglue but can only find it in very small squeezy plastic bottles.
Must admit I did turn this bowl with expanding dovetail.

Barry.

bwlossie":2wfksg0b said:
Do you have a brand name for "low viscosity CA" I have been looking round for superglue but can only find it in very small squeezy plastic bottles.
Barry.

It is normally only sold in small containers for the retail market because of the wastage potential if left open (or badly sealed) and exposed to air/moisture.

No particular Brand but if you look at the supplies in most woodworking stockists they usually have three types 'Low Viscosity' 'Normal' and 'Gap Filler'

These are 'branded versions but I usually pay about 2/3 these prices for stockist 'own brand' versions.

Back