Yew Vase No2.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
After a conversation on the phone over the weekend to another forum member it reminded why i bought and wanted the Lyle Jamieson rig.
The original owner of the LJ rig used to turn forms down to 1mm wall thickness which he then pierced and decorated,when he showed me his work i thought how incredible that was to do using this rig.
So today decided to have a go at one meself,and the piece of Yew i chose made it more challenging to complete,which to my amazement i did manage but the wall thickness is 1.5mm and here is the result.
Sizes are 215mm tall and 75mm at it widest.Finished with Lemon Oil.

Yew with natural inclusions.
yewvase1ukw.jpg

Attachments

• yewvase1ukw.jpg
    yewvase1ukw.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 1,090
Great job on turning a great shape with inclusions. As I said before in another post yew is a great wood for turning as it always seem to finish well

Lovely vase. Looks wonderful turned down so thin, but will it not warp with humidity changes? Or is that the point?

I looked up that rig, and it must be fun to be able to turn thin like that so easily. I've only really had a shot at one bowl, and because I hate my photographic ability I'm a little shy of posting it up here but it gave me my first bit of insight into hollowing and undercutting. Great fun, but a challenge :)

I love the figuring on that, its quite a special piece.

Nic.

nicguthrie":2e2utmnm said:
.... I've only really had a shot at one bowl, and because I hate my photographic ability I'm a little shy of posting it up here ....

As long as you post it with a view to getting comments about how you can improve the next item or tackle the areas that show typical beginners problems, less than ideal (in the majority view) proportions or perceived mistakes and use the comments received to adjust your efforts next time round or determine for yourself that the comments are not the way you personally wish to go and not be discouraged by such then you have nothing to loose.

All turners have had to start at some time and I guarantee no first efforts are any better than those that you get off the lathe in one piece.

I'll try a second time to take a half decent pic, steal my wife's phone for the better camera like I did for the pens. :)

Thanks for the encouragement.

Not meaning to Hijack the thread. I know I'm still a long way from making anything of the standard of Paul here, but it's nice to see examples like this to aspire to.

Thanks everyone glad you like it :D

Nic-thank you glad you like this one. :)
You can turn wood thinly and is fun to do,best to use freshly felled wood and keep the tool nice and sharp,there are plenty of vids on Youtube showing you how to do it but a good book or DVD is Turning Green Wood by Michael O'Donnel.
As Chas has said we have all been in your position and the best way to learn is to turn as much as you can ask plenty of questions,don't be shy,and post up the results you are happy with and ask for comments.
If summat goes wrong let us know and we will try to explain why it wrong,there is plenty of great advice on here,which is why its the best WW forum on the net =D>
Practice,practice,practice :wink:

Latest posts

Back