Yew Vase.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
I put a lump of Yew on the lathe Friday afternoon and was going to start turning it but thought i would leave it till i got my new tool to try it out on.
It was an Oland tool that was made for me several years ago which i wasn't using any more so asked the maker of that tool if he could convert it to an easy tool for me with the easy rougher cutter in,this is a tool i have been meaning to get since Chas demonstrated it at the Brummie Bash all that time ago.
The tool was made/altered, thanks Chas,so had a play with it today and must say it does remove the wood pretty quick,i only used it to rough the cut log down and finished with a normal bowl gouge for the outer and the Lyle Jamieson rig to hollow out,and here is the result.
This was from a batch of Yew i got years ago but a lot of it has split,as this piece had but managed to turn a lot of the splits out and super glued the fine splits that was left as i went along.
Sizes are 11" tall and 4" at its widest.Finished with sanding sealer and microcrysaline wax.

yewvase-ukw.jpg

Attachments

• yewvase-ukw.jpg
    yewvase-ukw.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,107
Pretty good Paul, that wood certainly has plenty of character, pity so much of it split on you during drying.

The tipped tools certainly take a lot of the aggravation out of removing the unbalanced and rough wood for starters.
I do however rely on mine heavily for truing up the rough glued segmented stuff and boring out the middles as well. (Cascamite can take the edge off HSS quickly for some reason)

Thanks all glad you like it :D
This Yew has really been showing some nice figure and colour out of all the pieces i have turned using it,not bad for £20 delivered i think it was??

Yew certainly knew what yew were doing with that piece of yew Paul :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

Love it great shape and very well turned . =D>

Latest posts

Back