Small Yew vase.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
Two on the trot. :shock: Things must be looking up :D
Turned this Yew vase to try and copy the one that i ruined the other week,but this log was smaller so couldn't quite copy the other one, it is similar,but just doesn't seem to have the same effect as the other one did for me :?
Used the Lyle Jamieson rig on this one and it as given a nice even wall thickness all the way round.
It is 185mm tall by 95mm at it's widest.
Finished with two coats of Hard wax oil.

yewvasewithhole.jpg

yewvaseprofile.jpg

Almost Urned your money with that one Paul.

Looks fine for me as a user, some might want to see a smaller base area for aesthetic reasons as a display piece, that does impose a considerable use penalty when the better half wants to fill it with a dried floral display though.

Is it the increased amount of sapwood showing that does not ring true or the overall shape?

I'm one of those that would have curved the foot in a bit. I reckon you could have done it without sacrificing practicality. Still good looking as it is though. Is this still the same load of yew or have you got some more

Pete

Thank you for the comments :D

CHJ wrote
Is it the increased amount of sapwood showing that does not ring true or the overall shape?
I think it's the overall shape Chas,though there was more heartwood showing on the first as it was a bigger log.
This one is more or less how big dia it was to start.

Bodrighy wrote
Is this still the same load of yew or have you got some more
Still the same lot Pete.Haven't seen any other Yew since,apart from that nice log Miles brought to the bash last year.

The base on the first was narrower which is why i think it looked better than this one but it wasn't very stable.So seeing as though they get used for dry flowers i thought i would try and make this one slightly more stable.

Like the shape and the finish Paul, did it evolve to that shape or was it planned? I ask because my stuff never seems to end up as I initially plan it :lol:
Steve

Thank you for your comments :D
Yes Yew is a lovely wood to turn :D

Gasmansteve wrote
did it evolve to that shape or was it planned?
I tried to copy one i turned but ruined the other week Steve,but this log was smaller so it is near what was turned before,but not quite.
The first did just evolve as it was on the lathe,and i was very happy with it,until i went through the bottom while parting it off :evil:

Hi Paul,

I love this piece of wood you have used, it really is a lovely wood to work with.

Like you mentioned, if the vase is for flowers then I think the shape and base width is perf, could have been smaller and more refined if for asthetic reasons otherwise.

Is that a little hole in the first pic where a knot was? If so, then I really like this little 'character' flaw, I love the way the wood kind of speaks back with these little oddities.

Nice finish too on a smashing piece of yew! :lol:

Very nice Paul, I love the position of heart/sap you have

Loz

Thanks Lee/Loz :D

Skeetoids wrote
Is that a little hole in the first pic where a knot was
Yes it is a knot hole Lee.It fell out when i was finishing off and was going to glue it back in but thought it's Yew and that's what Yew is like for me.Full of charachter :D
There are some splits in it also but these were superglued when i started sanding it.
The inside is also sanded to a smooth finish using the Simon Hope sanding ball.

Hi Paul,

Grand job mate!! I'd agree about the smaller base, and like the others can see why it is better as is for practical reasons (since when have woodturners been practical :roll: :roll: :lol: :wink: )

Fantastic bit of wood, well shown off!!

Richard

Back