Thoughts for my first wood project: side table design

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
next time round try to pre drill the hole to the size of the inner shank of the screw and use some beeswax on the screw thread. It is surprising how much pressure this takes off the screw and eases fitting

... two of the screw heads snapped off while I was tightening them.
I suspect the pilot holes may have been too small. So, for example, if you were using no 8 screws, which are equivalent to 4 mm diameter shank screws, the norm is 4.5 mm diameter for the clearance hole and 3 mm diameter for the pilot hole (plus countersinking if using a countersunk screw), which works well for softer woods, e.g., walnut, cherry, pine, etc: but with oak, and some of the other harder woods, a 3.5 mm pilot hole is generally required. It's also a useful trick to smear a bit of candle wax or similar on to the screw thread prior to inserting the screw. Slainte.

Just for fun I thought I'd take a photo of my new table next to the one it replaces. As I mentioned early on in this thread, I've got very little space in the house, so coming up with projects for the home is a bit of a challenge as they've nowhere to go.

This little table was in use but wasn't very nice (it cost almost nothing from Ikea and it's served us well for a lot of years since my student days, but it was time for it to be retired). Replacing an existing bit of furniture means there is space available for the new table!

1597492778812.png

I think the oak one looks a little nicer.

Take that pine one apart carefully, and store the wood nicely. That's well seasoned pine and will be an invaluable resource for all sorts of little jobs in future.

Latest posts

Back