Hollow Form Vase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vic Perrin

Established Member
Reaction score
Not sure of the timber I salvaged it from a wood pile, perhaps someone will be able to enlighten me .

The vase stand about 10" tall and is just over 3" diam at its widest.

Hollowed out to about 3/16 wall thickness using the Lyle Jamieson Hollowing System.

Not quite sure of the shape but was just having a play.

Cheers

Vic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 1,004
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 1,004
Bo idea what the wood is but boy that looks impressive.
Is the Lyle Jamieson Hollowing System.that big supporting frame structure I have seen on my wanders through youtube ? If so tell us more.

Grahamshed":2xxytinm said:
Bo idea what the wood is but boy that looks impressive.
Is the Lyle Jamieson Hollowing System.that big supporting frame structure I have seen on my wanders through youtube ? If so tell us more.

Hi Graham, you got it in one the LJ system is the one that you have looked at on YouTube.

https://www.lylejamieson.com/cart/shop.asp

I have said before on the site that I suffer with vibration white finger and arthritis in my hands and I have tried out numerous hollowing systems to no avail.

Although the rig looks cumbersome it is a dream to use. I can sit on a bar stool at the side of the lathe and hollow out controlling the tool with a couple of fingers with little or no vibration. I have gone up to 12" deep with the rig no problem at all.

The lazer system allows you to set the thickness of wall that you want and up to yet I have ventured to 1/8" on some smaller pieces.

I made some additional cutters for the system using round carbide tips and they are proving to be an excellent addition to the system.

Regards

Vic

Grahamshed":3gl4zs1q said:
Sounds ideal for you. Did you manage to get hold of it over here ?

Yes, another Forum member put me onto someone who was selling it as he preferred the Monster System.

I got it for about 2/3 of it's advertised price and of course avoided any shipping charges or import duty.

It was as new and also included a brilliant instructional DVD.

Regards

Vic

Nice vase Vic, the timber is a bit tricky (second image has image blur so is even more tricky! :) ) I couldn't even hazard a guess at that.

The vase is lovely, shape and the wood is really beautiful. excellent job.

the wood is a bit reminiscent of Olive tree wood.

I must agree that it is a good system, however being a bit mean I made my own from an old shop magazine display stand and some screwed rod. Here is a picture of it. Also a Monkey Puzzle Vase done using it. The vase is 10inches high by 10 inches diameter at the widest point.

Attachments

• monkey puzzle.jpg
    monkey puzzle.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 830
  • hollowing.jpg
    hollowing.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 830
alexf":1xb0zvef said:
I must agree that it is a good system, however being a bit mean I made my own from an old shop magazine display stand and some screwed rod. Here is a picture of it. Also a Monkey Puzzle Vase done using it. The vase is 10inches high by 10 inches diameter at the widest point.

Love it ! If it does the job then it's fine. It doesn't look a lot unlike the Genuine LJ System in principle but as I said if it works for you great.

PS I like the Monkey Puzzle Hollow Form, one of my favourites except for Yew.

Vic

Back