Yew Vase No3.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
Still making my way through the Yew i have had cut up for a few years now and still keeping on the vase theme.
I kept this one straight just to keep the beauty of the wood ahowing.
This was turned again with the LJ rig but with one of the easy wood tips fitted to the holder a forum member made for me and it worked a treat,cheers Vic :D
This one is 310mm tall and 85mm wide,finished with sanding sealer and microcrystaline wax.

straightyewvase ukw.jpg

Attachments

• straightyewvase ukw.jpg
    straightyewvase ukw.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 976
Looks like you are enjoying yourself to much making all the vases. Another nice piece. These would not be out of place with designers doing up houses

Wow. A foot tall, four inches or so wide and straight? How thin did you turn the walls this time? That must be one very good hollowing system!?

Gorgeous (not you, the vase). I can see why you wanted to showcase the wood like that, it's quite something.

Nic.

Thanks all glad you haven't got fed up with em yet as tehre is another on the lathe now :roll:
Nic i have used other hollowing tools in the past but found them to much like hard work to use,especially doing deeper items and must admit i didn't realise how tall this one was till i started hollowing it out and even this rig struggles after about 10" in but so long as i take my time and do light cuts it does cope.This one is about 4mm wall thickness.

Brian- yes it is hollowd down to the very bottom,the outer base is finished with a slight concave cut from the sharp parting tool so its just the outer edge that its standing on.

Hi Paul, Glad you are pleased with the cutting tool. I could not believe it myself how well they work in the LJ rig.

I find that you get a much more smoother and controlled cut with the EW tips.

Do you think it would be worth making some cutting bars bent at 90 degrees so as to be able to undercut a rim?

PS Another lovely vase.

Regards

Vic

Cheers Vic :D
It would be good if you could make the tip swivel as on the original LJ design as you have to set the laser to the varying angles of cut when doing a curved hollow form for instance.

Paul.J":g79fdhld said:
Brian- yes it is hollowd down to the very bottom,the outer base is finished with a slight concave cut from the sharp parting tool so its just the outer edge that its standing on.

Wow - forgive my ignorance, but what's an LJ rig?

Back