Sanding sealer & wax on walnut

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon.1976

Established Member
Reaction score
A while ago, I made something from ash and wanted to keep it as pale as possible (avoid the yellowing from oils) so used cellulose sanding sealer and microcrystalline wax, both chestnut products. Normally, I'd use blond dewed shellac but I didn't have any.

The ash project ended up looking pretty good, so I thought I'd use up the remaining sealer on 2 projects. Both very simple, one was a tea light holder in an end grain chopping board style from purple heart and maple and the other was a 3"x3" cube hollowed out to hold a votive candle holder (basically a shot glass).

The purple heart/maple turned out really nice (for my standards anyway) but the walnut one looks terrible. The finish just looks, well, unfinished. Dull, patchy, lifeless and hazy are words that spring to mind. Also there appears to be small patches of cloudiness appearing. I thought this might be a heat issue from the candle, but the timber is barely warm.
Is this just something to be expected from walnut or I have done something wrong? The last time I used walnut, I used a thinned down poly to wipe on and that still looks fine, albeit with the yellowing I was trying to avoid this time.
Each project has had the same finishing procedures, sanding grits, etc

I always like to hit walnut with some oil if possible to bring out the grain, and give it a richness.

How dry was the Walnut when sealed, is the blooming by any chance from trapped moisture surfacing with the warmth?

I've never had anything but satifactory results using sanding sealer and wax.

Some extra info please...

Did you thin the sanding sealer?
How many coats?
What were conditions like in the workshop when you applied the sealer?

I have my suspicions about what's happened here, but the more information the better.

Thanks

Terry

Back