Yew Burr Blanks - trouble cutting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evoman76

Established Member
Reaction score
I picked up a nice piece of Yew with some Burrs in, about 10 inches diameter by 3 inches thick which I am trying to make into a bowl. When I am trying to turn it, my chisel keeps jumping when I hit the burr presumably due to it being harder than the surrounding material ? I'm really struggling to get a decent flat finish.

Tools are sharp, tried both a bowl gauge and a roughing gouge neither with much success !?

Any ideas ?

evoman76":34knqdxr said:
.....a roughing gouge neither with much success !?

Any ideas ?

For starters DO NOT use a Spindle Roughing Gouge on a Bowl Blank, you risk serious injury if the Tang gives way, the loads when you encounter the end grain are far too severe.

Sounds like you don't have enough correct support of the tool on the rest, whilst you are tackling interrupted cuts you must have maximum support between hands/fingers and the gouge against the rest to stop the wood pushing the tool away.
Do you have the end of the tool handle tucked into your waist for support and using the swing of your body to advance the tool, not just your hands?

DSC059272028Medium29.jpg

Original thread link

Attachments

• DSC059272028Medium29.jpg
    DSC059272028Medium29.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 858
As above about the Roughing gouge and also the advice on tool rest.

Have you got a picture of the exact set up you are using to turn the yew. In other words the blank on the lathe and the position of the tool rest where the problem occurs.

If you are still having problems then get someone to show you there is a club near Maidstone maybe join that where hands on will help.

Latest posts

Back