Yet more Finials

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimG

Little Woodworm
Reaction score
Following the trend, here are a couple more finial boxes, these are five and a half inches tall and three inches wide.

I didn't set out to make a pair, as Chas rightly suspected in the other thread I posted, the holly finial lid had shrunk slightly, I though had thought it to be the box and so made another, but drying it at halfway, alas, i did not do the same for the lid as this was all done prior to my making the post, so now both lids, although looking reasonable, in fact are a fit too loose! So now I am going to have to make two new boxes that these lids fit, and 2 new lids for these boxes! 4 finial boxes in all, I hope someone takes a fancy to them when they go on display. :)

The boxes are Cherry, the finials are in Holly.

Attachments

• Finial Boxes-sm.jpg
    Finial Boxes-sm.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 962
nev":2o83g038 said:
You've definitely got a better 'flow' on the finials than me Kim =D>

Maybe so Nev, and thanks, but I much prefer the shape you made your box, a nicer balance in my eyes at least.

Thanks Peggy!

Good to see you persevering Kim, on maintaining the 'fit', try out differing joint configurations that can accomodate a small change in diameter without it being obvious.* I know it does not mean a firm fit but better they sit cleanly than wedge too tight.

I don't usually comment on shape or form as I'm not into the finer points of gallery art.
I have however a comment to make for future thought for you.

If you look at the left hand finial and the two boxes in profile, concentrate on the flow of the curves.

To me the left hand finial waist in particular flattens out and does not maintain a continuous curve, think French curves.

The Boxes likewise, most noticeable on the right hand one, have a 'flat' around the midriff.

Better a deliberate flat cylinder at the waist with two smooth arcs either side than a flattened curve.

When turning do you look at the profile at the front tool contact area or the top/back of the piece? I find if I concentrate on the back/top edge as I turn I can see the flow of a curve better.

* there's a reason a lot of my boxes have a bead around the lid opening, try a slight finial overlap on one.

Thanks for those observations and Tips Chas, I think perhaps the lighting is not doing the left finial any favours because the real thing, although not such an elegant transition as the other, doesn't have a pause or a flat, but the boxes certainly do, and that is something I will pay more attention to in future.
I understand the concept of the overlap, but cannot picture how it works as such, nor the bead, if you get a chance to show that in some detail I would appreciate it, apart from anything else having a variety of styles is always a bonus!

Thanks again. :)

shapes.jpg
shape2.jpg

Top left image, viewed from above or side the shadow in the gap decieves the eye and disguises small variations in gap.

Top right image, if you increase the taper of the undercut to give inner clearance so that just the outer rim of the finial comes into contact with the sphere then there should be no gap for the eye to notice.

Bottom image, a variation on your 'pagoda roof' disc if taken immediatley from the top of the sphere will hide the join from the eye.

Even a 'Vee' cut to form a shadow as per the bead example will decieve the eye away from small mis-matches.

Attachments

• shapes.jpg
    shapes.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 833
  • shape2.jpg
    shape2.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 833
Those are some very useful tips, much appreciated Chas, thank you very much indeed!

Back