Yet another dust extraction post!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodchip

Established Member
Reaction score
We cut quite a lot of 2mm mdf on our table saw. The existing extractor was built by Noah and has just given up the ghost. What do the learned panel suggest I replace it with?

At the moment I also use a spindle moulder and router table, but only occasionally, and only for wood, both hard and soft, but not mdf.

Thanks

Hi there
By the sounds of it you do not need a large capacity. Especially if you are not planing and thicknessing.
I would suggest that your decision should take into account; high filtration, low noise and ease of emptying/ bag changing. Emptying seems to come around quicker all the time and in the past it has been a real faff for me.
A continually running extractor can keep the noise levels up.

That depends on
1 do you want the air to be as clean as possible, moderately clean so you get the bigger stuff, or just save you brushing up the chips but to hell with the fine dangerous dust.
2. Does the TS have a crown guard with a dust extraction port that works or does dis spray everywhere
3. ducted or standing by the machine
4. Size of machines i.e. 8, 10, or 12 saw and size of dust ports

Mdf and table saw... get something that moves a lot of air. The more the better.

PAC1":1wslseae said:
That depends on
1 do you want the air to be as clean as possible, moderately clean so you get the bigger stuff, or just save you brushing up the chips but to hell with the fine dangerous dust.

clean air is the priority
2. Does the TS have a crown guard with a dust extraction port that works or does dis spray everywhere
crown guard with good port
3. ducted or standing by the machine
either, I have lots of space
4. Size of machines i.e. 8, 10, or 12 saw and size of dust ports
its a 10 inch wadkin bursgreen with a 4" crown guard and a homemade cover underneath/on the side with again a 4" duct. The spindle and router also have 4" ducts to them (all with blast gates)

Thanks

Given those answers any of these (apart from the one for sanders only) would do http://www.axminster.co.uk/wood-working ... extractors
with the 0.3Mu filter. you need at least 550 cfm at the port for the saw and as much as you can at the crown guard. if you are limited to 100mm port on the saw then you need to have a high velocity to achieve the cfm.
If you could vent to the outside you do not need such a fine filter and not quite as much velocity at that point you might get away with the Jet Vortex cone either DC1100 or 1900 with the 1mu filter. If your duct work is kept to 6" and not too many bends or drops you can achieve 550cfm as the point of connecting to the saw. Elder also do some quite good units.

Back