Year 2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like them all,but the yew stump bowl is a real beauty :D
Nice to see how warm it looks with no sapwood on show.

Andrew

the colour & grain pattern on the yew natural edge bowl is absolutely fantastic, so warm & cosy.

Jenx":3uza3frf said:
The yew bowl is a stunner Pete.... "Crazy Grain" !! I Like it !! :wink: :D

Was it a little 'intimidating' to do ?.... the end result is an absolute beaut.
8) 8) 8)

It helps that I work with 'free' wood and so dont have to worry about the wastage. What I find hairy is getting to the point where I think "do I stop here or keep going thinner" especially when you have ears or whatever they are called. I have a few small bowls that started off as vases but I got too cocky or clumsy. Let's say that my Glutious Maximus have never be so finely toned since I started turning. :lol:

Pete

I reckon you've coined a new descriptive phrase there Pete...

GM Clencher :lol:

Paul.J":2mbm1f9q said:
Even more cracking pieces Pete :shock:
Great to see how far you have come and improved in the last 2 years :D

A year and 3 months Paul, and thanks. Iwas looking at some of the early things I did that I still have and hopefully will be able to get them back on the lathe at some point.

Pete

Elm bowl has a beautiful grain pattern,nice shape,and as already mentioned,lovely and warm :D

Andrew

Bodrighy":mvg2fu5p said:
...Iwas looking at some of the early things I did that I still have and hopefully will be able to get them back on the lathe at some point.

Pete

May I suggest not doing that Pete? Once altered they're no longer a milestone... I'd recommend making another one of each... just to satisfy yourself.

"Nostalgia is a warm feeling... if only I could remember"

Another free weekend to play in the shed

Beech. top unknown: 4" tall, 2" max dia (2nd image is accurate colour)

Beech, 3" tall, 2 1/2" dia top slightly eccentric

Purple heart box with wenge top: 5" dia, 3" tall total

Yew block 5" x 2" bowl 1/1/2" dia

Yew bowl with inclusions and some natural edge.: 6" tall, 6" dia

Cherry bowl, Split laced with leather thong: 6" dia 3 1/2" tall. Split came after turning.

Comments and criticisms welcome as always

Pete

Blimey Pete, it's a wonder the shed is still on the cliff top if you are working at that pace. :lol:

Particulary like the rectangular Yew block.

Nice to see someone had a busy weekend turning - I agree with Chas,the yew block is the one that stands out :D
The split in the cherry looks quite large,like the rescue job,but wasn't it a little unnerving when it did that on its own ? :lol:
The lip is a nice feature on the large yew bowl,like the small beech pieces;only one I'm not sure about is the purpleheart and wenge - not convinced that the colours suit each other (but there again,I am a man,so by default have no sense of colour co-ordination... :wink: )

Andrew

Keeping up the fantastic rate of production , Pete ! ....
I'm in the same camp as Chas & Andrew ... the Yew Block Bowl is my personal favourite...
You must be wearing your gouges away to little stumps with all that turning !
Great ! 8) :)

Very nice Pete :D
I like the little boxes,especially the second one,but again the Yew pieces do it for me.Lovely colouring and finish.

There am I happily making a foot for this

Unknown wood: (Anyone know what it is? Really hard and heavy. turns to a shine without finishing. I have got wax on this)
3" dia, finial purple heart scrap 3 1.2" long. Leg half made still on the lathe awaiting a new belt :cry:

when pop, the belt snaps. Why on a Saturday?

I've got hold of a load of different woods recently from Freecycle (amazing what people throw out innit?) lot of oak, 3 bags of 'firewood' which when sorted included about 10 blanks and the wood for the one above.
Here's some of the things I have got from firewood

Ash 4" dia. 1 1/2" tall

Apple 5" tall

Unknown wood, 3 1/2" dia

Unknown wood pen holder 5" tall 2 1/2" dia

And a few other things from my stock of wood

Beech, 12" tall 2 joined captive rings

Bit more from Paul's rocking horse offcuts 2 long, 2" wide

Lacewood candle holder with glass insert from boot sale 3" dia'

Spalted beech box 3 1/2"" tall 1 1/2" dia

Yew 8" x 4" max bowl 4" dia

Hopefully have a couple of sales coming up. SWMBO has started waving dusters around. :roll:

I take it you quite like this turning lark Pete: a good variety of items squeezed out of the stock pile there.

Latest posts

Back