Year 2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hollow form - Yew with ebonised oak spout. I couldn't get in properly to make it thinner so it's about 1/4" thick. Need a decent hollowing tool :roll: Originally thought to hollow it so it would have holes where the bark was but failed :cry:

6" dia 7" tall overall

Yew Goblet, 4" tall 1 1/2" dia. stem is about 50mm

Another from an old pine post.
4" tall, 2" dia

This is one done straight from a beech log. turned thin when wet. three weeks ago. Still moving. Slight cracks but they have been checked with superglue.

Last & least mini hollow form in hazel done with a sharpened allen key. this is just over an inch high and 3/4" dia. Don't know how thick it is but the light shines through it.

Bodrighy":2ldaz9i8 said:
......... Don't know how thick it is but the light shines through it.
Serendipity at work again I assume :p :lol:

I like the Yew goblet, and am intriqued as to the intended contents of the hollow form that it needs a spout, I think it is fine as is by the way, can't see it going all religious being any improvement, perhaps the spout not quite so tall but then on second looks
duno.gif

I'll have a pint of whatever you're on! :lol: lovely pieces there. I really like the natural edge yew and the square one .. did you remember to stop to eat? :shock:

Had a spare hour tonight so decided to try something different.

Wee Willie Winky candle holder (copied from a pewter one I spotted in a museum)
Oak 4" dia, candle bit 3" tall.

Oak is not the best wood as it's too brittle for the handle. Any ideas for wood that wood be better as I would like to do some more of these, SWMBO thinks they are 'cute'?

Pete

Hey now that's pleasantly different :D

Very nice idea - take it the ring handle is turned,split,and then fitted ?
If you are after something more forgiving,ash is generally quite flexible.

Andrew

Nice. Something different.
How about sycamore, beech, holly - they should be strong enough for the ring.
I think spalted beech would work well.
Another option is to try exotics or maybe try a pale uk timber with an ebonised ring

Been busy making a few tools (and SWMBO roped me into packing - 6 weeks to go :lol: ) Managed to get this done. Loads of cracks showed up halfway through turning so had to stop and pour some glue in to stop it falling apart. Also it never attained balance so outside sanding had to be done stationary.

Yew, 10 1/2" dia total: Inner bowl is 7" dia, 6" tall Sealer & wax

You worried there might be some spare space in the moving van Pete; or is it a serious attempt to lighten the load?

You are certainly making the most of those odd ball pieces of Yew.

Lovely colour and figuring,Pete;certainly made the best out of an unusual shaped piece :D

Andrew

CHJ":3jwt4hvr said:
You worried there might be some spare space in the moving van Pete; or is it a serious attempt to lighten the load?

My son (the one we are going to stay with initially) is keen to get into turning and I want to use all the decent wood before we move :twisted: (just joking)

The yew is the only dry wood I have at the moment. Still got plenty of beech but only wet stuff.

Pete

Looks good Pete :D
I like the way you havekept the natural shape of the log,and the inside looks really good.Must try one meself one day :roll:

Mornin' Pete, glad to see your upholding the males priorities, you get on with your work, while 'er indoors gets the packing done. Good man! :wink:

Of course if you want a hand to use up that Yew, 'I'm always available.' he says tongue in cheek.

PS, good bowl! I like thin stuff, but often that style is the way to go with certain blanks.

SWMBO dragged me to Yandles today (Truth!!!!) They had a craft show going on and all wood was 20% discount so she treated me to proper wood. I have actually got some things planned. If they work out I'll post them.

Meanwhile found a bit of dried beech with this inside it

10" tall, stem 6mm thick bowl bit is 1.5
mm thick. (lashed out on a measuring thingy from Axminster)

Ash bowl, 9 1/2" dia 3" tall 12mm thick

Comments and criticismas welcome as always

Pete

Bodrighy wrote
SWMBO dragged me to Yandles today
I bet you weren't screaming and kicking all the way their Pete :lol:
What timber did you get :?:

Two nice looking pieces :D
Are those sanding marks on the side of the bowl or is it the grain. :?

Paul.J":2qhs2aik said:
Bodrighy wrote
SWMBO dragged me to Yandles today
I bet you weren't screaming and kicking all the way their Pete :lol:
What timber did you get :?:

Two nice looking pieces :D
Are those sanding marks on the side of the bowl or is it the grain. :?

I was driving so I couldn't scream too much :lol:

I got a piece of rippled ash, a length of black walnut, a piece of Pau Rosa ( I want to do another of those globe thingy's) and a length of purple heart with which I am going to make a pair of goblets. I have an idea to do something different if it works out.

The marks appeared when I applied the wax finish. They aren't sanding marks and don't look like it in real life. If you look carefully you can see that they are inside and outside. The wood had some sort of infection that didn't show until I had nearly finished, the black bits on the bottom of the bowl, so it may be something to do with that.

Pete

Back