Year 2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again,very productive and lots of variety - the beech "poppy-head" glass with captive rings looks outstanding :D
The apple vase and rectangular yew bowl are also high on my personal favourites list.
Bad luck with the belt - for the price they are,I keep a spare (I realise this doesn't help you one little bit.... :lol: )

Andrew

Some nice little pieces there Pete.
Love the colour and rim of the 4th piece,which looks like Yew to me,to Yew to me :lol:
No wonder the belts broke Pete with all that you've produced lately:shock:

Been away most of the week so didn't do much. managed to finish this one

Apparently Cocobola (from a pile of firewood believe it or not). 10" high in total with hollow form approx 3" dia. Leg & finial are purple heart.

This one is sycamore and purple heart. 12" tall in total, hollow form is approx 4" dia. Looks a bit odd in the photo, sort of out of proportion and skewed somehow but it looks better in the flesh / wood :lol: Honest :roll:

Pete

I like those 'stem/ball/finial' things Pete.... nice 'conversation pieces' !

How do you find the Purple heart to turn ? ... i tried a couple of bowls from it , and found it to be perhaps the most difficult of the woods I've tried so far.... it just seemed to 'object' to being worked somehow... difficult to define exactly, It just seemed harder to 'make things happen' with, than say, Tulipwood for example. 8)

Having a ball there Pete, you are starting to worry me with this artistic trend, are you sure the remoter reaches of Cornwall are ready for you.

CHJ":1kn6weme said:
Having a ball there Pete, you are starting to worry me with this artistic trend, are you sure the remoter reaches of Cornwall are ready for you.

This lass is in Cornwall so I have people to look up to down there Chas. Should be able to join a club and learn how to do things proper like

Pete

Sly devil, sucking up to the natives before you move in, thought there must be some reason for the drift in output. :p

I appreciate she sure does some intricate and clever work even though most are not my scene.

I can see it now " Whilst in Cornwall, why not visit the 'Bodrighy Gallery' ". :twisted:

When i look at work like that,it just makes me realise i've got no chance of ever acheiving anything like it.Have i reached my level :?:
Each piece i start i say to meself-
"Right take your time,do a nice job and spend plenty of time and care on the finish"
Still end up up rushing it for some reason :evil:
Is it because i have got it in me after working for so many years of getting jobs out on time that i do tend to rush :?:

Presuming that you are talking about Yvonnes work don't put yourself down. Whether or not we can do the same thing isn't the point. You prefer the more functional, less arty things like Chas. Yvonne spends a lot of time carving and designing. I look at soem of the things in the galleries on line and feel like giving up. Point is doing what we do to the best of our ability and enjoying it.

Me - I'll carrying on bunging whatever bits of wood I get my hands on onto the lathe and see what comes off at the end.
Pete

Bodrighy wrote
Presuming that you are talking about Yvonnes work don't put yourself down.

I didn't mean to put myself down Pete.It's just that i think some people have a certain level that they reach and just can't seem to get past that level,if you see what i mean :? and just know that there is no way that they can produce work like Yvonnes and others.
This i think is where the arty part comes into your skill level.

Pete, lovely work although Icant do as good as you it acts as an inspiration for me.Except all I get out of skips are splinters and Yuk!
There must be a better type of skip dumping where you are. Keep up the good work I'm going to try one of those long hollow forms tomorrow, I'm pretty good at the finials it's the bits in between that cause me the problems. Everyone loves a tryer. Regards Boysie.

Managed to get a few bits done. Lathe still playing up despite new belt. Seems to have lost it's torque and doesn't like to start without a manual spin.

Piece of old fence post. Thought I'd have a try as the wood has all sorts of green staining in it. Approx 3 1/2" tall

Bit of the everlasting beech. Tried a different shape for a change. 4" tall

Piece of oak that was in the freecycle firewood. Two pieces actually. Don't know what it was glued with but must have had a load of iron in it judging by the staining. 4" tall

and a rustic one for Paul. 6" dia 4" tall Some really soft stufff in this soaked in Poundshop superglue. Worked fine,

Pete

Bodrighy":cln7qod7 said:
..... Lathe still playing up despite new belt. Seems to have lost it's torque and doesn't like to start without a manual spin.
....[/URL]
Time for a new start/run capacitor Pete.

Great finish on those items by the way.

CHJ":wa1928wr said:
Bodrighy":wa1928wr said:
..... Lathe still playing up despite new belt. Seems to have lost it's torque and doesn't like to start without a manual spin.
....[/URL]
Time for a new start/run capacitor Pete.

Great finish on those items by the way.

Is that easy to change Chas? Can I get one from Axminster? I seem to remember someone else had this problem didn't they?

The finish on the pine was a pig. Not the easiest wood to deal with. I found that giving it a good dose of sealer and leaving it soak in thoroughly (50% diluted) helped.

Pete

Bodrighy":cdcvt3za said:
Is that easy to change Chas? Can I get one from Axminster? I seem to remember someone else had this problem didn't they?

Yes pete, just use a a bit of small chocolate strip to connect new capacitor, old one is probably crimped to motor leads.

Axminster stock spares about £6.00 but if you can get a better spec. one that will fit in the casing * from your nearest electrical factors it might last a bit longer.

Key point it must be a "Run Rated" (Continuos) not a Start rated (short duty cycle) Capacitor.

* higher working voltage/quality manufacturer.

Thanks Chas, I'll open it up and have a look at what we are talking about. Electrickery isn't my thing so I better check what it looks like :lol:

Pete

Bodrighy":27htpcu9 said:
Thanks Chas, I'll open it up and have a look at what we are talking about. Electrickery isn't my thing so I better check what it looks like :lol:

Pete

Think it's 10 µF (mfd) 350 volt but not critical if it is 10-15-20 µF and the higher the voltage the better.

Although physical size may rule out bigger capacity/voltage if it is to fit in existing cover.

All nice,but I like the old fence post best - nice shape and proportions,nicely finished (as they all are) and just like the idea of it being an old fence post.. :D

Andrew

Back