Year 2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
At last a weekend where I get to play and still got a day left

Finally managed to make 2 things that look at least similar. Yew, 6" tall, 2 1/2" max dia.
[

11" Oak platter

Iroko with brass inlay, 8" square

Small beech bowl 3 1/2" dia 2" tall

10" beech bowl

beech, 3" length 2" max dia

Unknown wood with inclusions 3" dia 1 1/2" tall

Unknown wood, 3" dia 2" tall

All finished with sealer & wax.
Pete

I like the two Yew goblets and the shape of the bowl on the small beech bowl... not sure about the foot though...

:lol: I don't dislike the others it's just that two above appealed :wink:

Very productive weekend,Pete,and all nice results :D

Love the shape of the yew goblets;the small beech bowl is a very nice shape,with just enough detail to accentuate it - the brass inlay on the iroko works very well also.

It's not a deliberate gloat,taking all the pictures against a background of your supply of trees,is it.. :wink:

Andrew

All very nice piece :D
But i would also have to choose the Yew goblets as me favs.
Heres looking forward to another year of your turning :D

The Oak Platter gets my vote for its clean lines, the Iroko for the enhancement to what would otherwise be rather bland and the small globe Beech Bowl for the proportions and detail but as Graham mentioned I would have liked to see the foot a little less prominent.

If the second year shows the advancement achieved in the first one then we are in for some visual treats, well done.

You made all these pieces in ONE Weekend :shock: :shock: !

Joder Hombre!!

I love the brass insert, how did you do that? Is there a product available which you just knock into a recess?

If this is your 2nd year mate, I take my hat off to you - I'm a newbie & I'll be entirely satisfied if I can produce work of this quality in such a fast time! 8)

By the way the square platter with the insert is my fave, although the pair of ash goblets a beautiful too, gotta love that grain pattern.

Wot's this Pete, going into production mode?

Like them all, a nice variety of designs and shapes. Am impressed after just a year at woodturning, keep up the good work.

Thanks for the comments guys. I am fortunate in having a ready supply of beech and yew at the moment as well as some off cuts from Yandles.

I confess that the round bowl with a foot started off life as a hollow form gobletty thing but I went through the top with the hollowing tool so restyled as a bowl.
TEP":3bk282lf said:
Wot's this Pete, going into production mode?
Not yet Tam, just had a few days when I could get on with it and a supply of wood to play with

hairytoes":3bk282lf said:
I love the brass insert, how did you do that? Is there a product available which you just knock into a recess?

You can buy brass and other metal powders to do this Mix it up with some epoxy. I have done it with CA but it tends to cure too fast. I also have a load of brass shavings I got from a key cutting place that I use for bigger holes or cracks but the powder is ideal for small things as on the plate.
Make a groove with a skew or parting tool and then mix up the glue and powder and fill the groove with the mixture. Take the turning off the lathe first ad keep it horizontal as the mixture tends to run and make a mess as well as leaving the hole/groove half empty. You can also use coffee grinds and different coloured sawdust as well to do the same thing.

Pete

coffee grinds, 8) who thinks this stuff up man, thats pretty cool - have you tried it?
A lot of the wood I have available is kinda bland - Avacado & Almond especially - I'm wanting to jazz them up a wee bit, this sounds good & cheap!! :D

hairytoes":17dtf17k said:
coffee grinds, 8) who thinks this stuff up man, thats pretty cool - have you tried it?

You can also use instant coffee powder if you don't have fine coffee grounds.

Either are ideal for filling in split knot holes and unwanted bark inclusion hollows as they look quite natural when finished,

Also when you are sanding a recalcitrant piece save all the sanding dust that accumulates in the centre of a bowl for future use. That way you will end up with a collection of different colours that can be used to disguise the odd split or worm hole.

Pete.. did you even stop for a cup of tea ? heh heh....
Love the goblets in the first shot, and also very keen on your square-edge iroko bowl, --- everything there looks very nice indeed.
Thats a teriffic output over a single weekend, and to do so, AND maintain the quality is admirable.
'Good going' Sir ! My cap is well and truly 'doffed' ! 8) :wink:

Couple more items from the shed

I was given a piece of apple branch and found this inside it. 9" tall 3" dia

And this was in a piece of yew that Paul kindly gave me 10" tall, 6" max dia. Had real problems getting rid of the marks...didn't totslly successd I'm afraid. Didn't have the nerve to go any thinner.

Pete

Bodrighy":33z8hfmc said:
....... Had real problems getting rid of the marks...didn't totslly successd I'm afraid. Didn't have the nerve to go any thinner.
......Pete

Yew must try harder Pete, but nicely executed for all that, funny how easily it marks and scratches but takes for ages to eliminate them, only then do you find that you have been ham fisted enough to overheat the wood and produce a myriad micro cracks in the surface. DAMHIKT :roll:

Very nice - love the apple goblet,never seen such colouring and contrast in apple :D
See what you mean about the toolmarks - how do you normally sand such items?
I've had reasonable success removing them on natural-edge items by gently power sanding with the lathe OFF,turning it by hand (ideally using a wide disc/arbour so the edge isn't too curved) - still a very nice shaped piece,though :D

Andrew

Hi Andrew,
I would normally power sand as well but have run out of pads. Most I could do on the lathe but the white outer wood is fairly soft and wasn't cutting well despite resharpening all the time. Might go back to it when I get some more pads.

Pete

Pete you have done with the Yew what i want to do,but still haven't got the nerve to try yet :roll:
Great looking piece with or without marks,and the Apple goblet is your best so far,IMO :D

Was given a yew stump today, been down for years and had things growing from it. I cut a few pieces from it and found the wood really dark.

Turned this thin from some wet beech. It's warped already in 24 hours.
8" dia.3" tall

New yew stump. Bowl is 8" dia with another 2" on edge at top total 5" tall. Cut from a crotch so crazy grain whichever way you look at it.

2nd attempt. The marks at the top are natural...honest!!! 5" tall6" max dia

All finished in sealer and wax.

Pete

Pete your handling of the yew is an inspiration, the dark piece especially so, I have not yet worked up the courage to turn any yew that thin let alone such a challenging shape.

Pete, you've definitely pushed the serendipity quotient to a new level with the dark Yew vessel...

What's the betting that your good lady has already decided on your Xmas present....

a Yule log :lol:

Back