YANKEE SCREWDRIVERS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennis

Established Member
Reaction score
For the past few years I have worked for a construction firm doing maintainence,alterations and new work in a large chemical factory although they are downsizing and have already demolished several large buildings wich means less work for us,their are a lot of flameproof areas in the factory where you cannot use electric or battery tools and air tools are not always an option so I use my wheelbrace,swing brace and yankee screwdriver a lot, well this week I broke my last pozi bit so this morning I went to my local toolshop and the owner said that he has not been able to get bits for a while and that a rep had just told him that stanley have discontinued yankee screwdrivers as with the advent of battery drills there is no market for them so I would advise anyone that does use them that if you see one going cheap snap it up as I intend to one thing you dont have to worry about batteries being charged,I have been trying to find an adapter but with no success yet but will keep trying.

No problem :D

Yankee1.jpg

Adaptors are not easy to get over here, but Lee Valley do them http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx ... 43417&ap=1

Also Dieter Schmidt http://www.fine-tools.com/schr2.htm (scroll down a bit)

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Dennis,

If you need a Stanley Pozidrive bit, let me know which size screwdriver you have and which size bit you need and I'll see if I have a spare.

Cheers

Paul

Paul

Thanks for the offer I will have a good look round first I might just have one hiding somewhere as I used to have several but have also broken several as they get a lot of heavy use Iwill let you know if I get stuck thanks again.

Dennis

By filing the arrises from an hexagonal shanked magnetic bit adaptor and also filing a notch for the retaining spring, I've made an adaptor that fits the larger sized Yankee screwdriver.

One adaptor that is readily available in the UK is the Trend Snappy one. It's only available in one size to fit the largest Yankee, and you need another adaptor if you want to use short bits with it

Yankee4.jpg

Yankee5.jpg

Paul

Thanks all

I should be able to sort something now, an adapter is the best way as bits are expensive and soon wear or break with the heavy use that mine get.

Cheers

Dennis

I took mine apart as some crud had got into the ratchet mechanism. That was 12 months ago, and I still haven't got round to re-constructing it.

Does anybody know how these things go back together?

Cheers

Karl

Thanks Paul, i'll check it out.

I think i've got all the parts, just now the "krypton factor" mental power to put it back together again. But an exploded diagram would be a good starting place.....

Cheers

Karl

Hi Paul

Nice collection.

I use Stanley Yankees all the time. I have a 31A (used least), a 30A, and two 35s.

ScrewdriversWC.jpg

I found this one on eBay a few years ago ..

Yankee30Ascrewdriver1.jpg

Before adapters were available, I began to grind to shape some of the magnetic holders. Last year, however, I discovered that there were snap-on holders available for power drills. I have used them quite a bit, not only for my Panasonic, but also for a brace and a couple of screwdrivers I built. The scale does not show, but it is small enough to fit in the palm.

Here is one of the screwdrivers with a snap on fitting - same as yours but a lot slimmer ..

Screwdriver1.jpg

... and with a range of bits, including a birds cage awl ..

Screwdriver3.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi Derek,

Nice collection :wink: That small, shop-made screwdriver is nice. I have one that Chisel on here made

Screwdriver.jpg

I find it very useful and use it a lot. I don't have a lathe so I'm hoping Chisel will show me how to make one on his.

Paul

The old saying was that screwdrivers were for taking screws out hammers were for putting them in

Dennis

When I was an apprectice in a previous life...many years ago I had the pleasure of having to dismantle and repair about 50 various types of yankees used in the shop. They are prettyeasy to do. The only thing that usually needs replacing if I remember correctly are the small shims that enable the ratchett to engage. They wear over the years and you find the ratchett over-riding itself and so not turning the bit.

Back